How does "Case Wise replacement"s Missing value al

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
boonchai
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

How does "Case Wise replacement"s Missing value al

Post by boonchai »

I am working with missing value in my data set. In literature, there are many approachs working with missing value e.g. listwise(casewise) deletion, pairwise deletion, mean substitution(mean replacement), EM, Multiple imputation etc. However, there is no "Case wise replacement" mentioned in the papers. What is the algorthm(machanics) that "Case Wise replacement" in SmartPLS 2.0 M3 do with the data?
This is one of the papers link http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/b ... 4/art00018
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Dear boonchai,

it is just casewise deletion.

The report provides additional information about MV treatment. Step 0 includes the original set of data that you use for your analysis and in step 1 is the data matrix after using a MV-option.

Best regards
Christian
harintabima
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

what about the bootstrap setting?

Post by harintabima »

Hi!

I'm now working on a model with several incomplete data (cases). I've tried "casewise replacement", but the problem is:what about the number of cases in bootstrapping procedure?for example, if my original cases is 100, and 10 of them contain missing values, how should I set the number of cases in the bootstrapping method if I set the MV treatment to "casewise replacement"?100 or 90?

Thank you very much.
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

you must use the same number of cases that you finally used as data input for the algorithm after case wise replacement - which is 90 in your example.

Best
Christian
NitinJain
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Missing values - Bootstrapping

Post by NitinJain »

Hi,

One of the indicators of a formative dimension has 60 valid cases and 20 missing cases. While running bootstrapping I am choosing 60 cases.

While running bootstrapping does it pick those cases which are missing for that indicator if I use the full data (N = 80) for PLS runs.

Regards,
Nitin
Johannes Kotte
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Johannes Kotte »

Dear Professor Ringle, dear fellow researchers,

the data set I am using contains quite a bit of missing values. In fact, I think there are few observations that have no missing values at all. In case of casewise deletion, how exactly does it work? I see 2 ways to deal with missing values:

Way 1) Observations with 1 or more missing values are completely eliminated from the dataset. In cases like mine, this would drive down sample size tremendously.

Way 2) Observations with missing values are excluded from the calculation of a construct/variable, if there are missing values for this construct. But they are used for calculating other variables, where no values are missing. In other words: observarions are being used for all constructs where the data is complete (no missing values) and are being ignored for constructs where the data is not complete.

As to my understanding, the PLS-Algorithm iteratively runs through the model step by step, i.e. it first calculates the scores of the constructs in the outer model (one by one) and then calculates the scores of the inner model. So I would presume that SmartPLS uses way 2) when using casewise deletion. Is that correct? If not, how does SmartPLS handle the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Johannes