Analyzing dimensionality of a construct using SmartPLS 4

Before posting, check our FAQ to see if your question is already covered.
bwardmusic
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Brent Ward PhD

Analyzing dimensionality of a construct using SmartPLS 4

Post by bwardmusic »

I am new to SmartPLS and partial least squares in general. I have analyzed several direct relationships, moderation, and mediation hypotheses successfully.

However, when I try to compare an outcome variable's dimensionality (whether a unidimensional, two-factor, or three factor structure) I get a "Model is not valid" error. When I did such analysis in AMOS, all I had to provide were the latent variables and indicators for the construct. This would give me the necessary output. But this doesn't work with SmartPLS as it wants more than just the construct I'm measuring and its indicators.

Can anyone explain how to test the dimensionality of a construct using SmartPLS (note, I can't use Amos as none of its estimation methods produce adequate model fit to do the analysis).

Thanks,
bwardmusic
PLS Junior User

Re: Analyzing dimensionality of a construct using SmartPLS 4

Post by bwardmusic »

Fawad posted a video where he addressed this indirectly, so my question will be revised somewhat.

I imported my confirmatory factor analysis analyses from AMOS into a SmartPLS 4 Covariance Based (CB) project. This created an acceptable model to run in Smart PLS. The output was essentially the same for the AMOS and Smart PLS models. There were some differences in degrees of freedom for the Chi-square between the two programs, but the indices in which I was interested were all the same. So my question above was answered -- at least for when I have AMOS available, I can create the second order model in AMOS and import it into SMART PLS.

However, I still have a question -- does anyone know how to draw covariances from scratch in a Covariance Based (CB) Project in SMARTPLS 4? That still eludes me. My first order model has three latent constructs that are co-varied and I can't figure out how to do it in SMARTPLS 4. The only way I could do it was by importing an AMOS model that already had those covariances drawn. There must be a way of doing this as SmartPLS accepted those covariances without error.

Any help you give on this is appreciated.
Last edited by bwardmusic on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwardmusic
PLS Junior User

Re: Analyzing dimensionality of a construct using SmartPLS 4

Post by bwardmusic »

I figured out how to draw the covariances. There is a "correlate" button at the top of the SmartPLS graphical designer. You click on that and then draw the covariances between the construts. Easy!