Interpret Moderation Analysis

Before posting, check our FAQ to see if your question is already covered.
ahmed.9455
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: ahmed totonchi

Interpret Moderation Analysis

Post by ahmed.9455 »

Dear all,

I have an age moderator in SmartPLS but I struggle to interpret the results and simple slope analysis to confirm my hypotheses correctly.

I will be so thankful if you could interpret at least one of my results so I can continue from there and use it as a template for other moderate variables (gender and education level) in my research. I have attached the result below.

H5a: Age will moderate the relationship between (PEU) and behavioral intention (BI) to use e-government services.
H5b: Age will moderate the relationship between (SN) and behavioral intention (BI) to use e-government services.
H5c: Age will moderate the relationship between (TOI) and behavioral intention (BI) to use e-government services.
H5d: Age will moderate the relationship between (TOG) and behavioral intention (BI) to use e-government services.

Thanks
Best Regards
Attachments
RESULT.png
RESULT.png (102.68 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
MODEL.png
MODEL.png (167.17 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
AGE_TOI.png
AGE_TOI.png (149.91 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Interpret Moderation Analysis

Post by jmbecker »

The p-values for the interaction terms (Age x ... --> BI) are all above 0.05. Most researchers would conclude from that there is no significant interaction (i.e., no moderation); i.e. rejecting your hypothesis.

The more substantive interpretation of the simple slopes graph would be that the TOI effect (which is not significant for age at the mean; i.e., -0.021; p=0.787) becomes positive for people high in age (green line; age + 1SD) and (more) negative for people low in age (red line; age -1SD).
However, the changes in the slope are relatively week (Age x TOI is 0.041; and not significant based on the p=0.608). Thus, you do not have enough evidence to conclude moderation.

Some interaction coefficients are quite substantive, but with four interactions you may not have enough power (sample size) to detect these effects reliably.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de