Moderation effect hypothesized positive but result shows negative an significant path coefficient

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
vaibhavsmartpls
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Er. Vaibhav Agarwal

Moderation effect hypothesized positive but result shows negative an significant path coefficient

Post by vaibhavsmartpls »

Dear Community,

I have a model in which a continuous variable A positively influences B and as per the hypothesis, X (continuous variable) positively moderates their relationship. SmartPls bootstrapping results confirmed a significant positive relation between A and B, however, the interaction effect of X came out to be significant with a negative path coefficient (Beta = -0.054, p < 0.001). Now I am confused as I was expecting a positive path coefficient. Please tell me, how should I interpret this outcome, and is my moderation related hypothesis supported or not supported?

Also, the Simple Slope Plot shows almost parallel three lines (X at -1 SD, X at mean and X at +1 SD), with a positive slope.

Further, the bias-corrected confidence intervals also do not include zero in between [-0.0887, -0.0201]

Please tell me how to interpret the above and what to explain and report about hypothesis

Thank You
tanyokeyew
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Yoke Yew

Re: Moderation effect hypothesized positive but result shows negative an significant path coefficient

Post by tanyokeyew »

Dear Vaibhav,
I'm having similar problem, do you get any answer so far? Appreciate if you could advise, thank in advance.
Regards, Yoke Yew
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Moderation effect hypothesized positive but result shows negative an significant path coefficient

Post by jmbecker »

Well, the interpretation is easy and as usual: You have a positive relation between A and B when X is at its mean (i.e., this is the estimated path coefficient between A and B when you moderator is in the model). This relation becomes weaker when X increases (i.e., negative interaction effect).

If you have hypothesized a positive interaction effect (i.e., the relation between A and B becomes stronger when X increases) then you hypothesis is not confirmed.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de