Excel export issues

This forum is closed, and read-only.
jamarin
PLS User
Real name and title:

Excel export issues

Post by jamarin »

Yesterday smartPLS vs 3.2.9 started to fail all excel export (but report, and HTMl or R exports work fine even saved to the same directory used to excel export).
It was very estrange because I was working with the same models and datasets than previous days (when all worked perfectly and I saved a lot of excel exports without any problem).
When I click on excel export I can see the file name dialogue box, and the process starts as always, but a few seconds later the pop-up windows closes without any file saved and no error message appear (but nothing was saved).
It doesn't matter if the results to export are large or not (it fails even exporting a very simple pls model that normally takes less than 600 kb in my hard disk) -I just exported one day ago files as large as 150 000 KB without problems-.

The only thing that I did differently before the first error, was to run a very huge bootstrap procedure with ten groups of 150 cases each (I was working with similar bootstraps with 5 groups of 300 cases without any problem). Just after that no one excel exports works for me, even if I restarted the program. I have shut down the computer and start new session from scratch (but the problem still arises).
I do not know if any hidden file can "remember something" that prevent excel export to work fine. Excel export are necessary because I work with multiple imputation procedure and I need to extract the results with formulas in order to perform the final calculations easily (instead to use manual copy and paste that is prone to errors).
Best regards,
Juan Marin
jamarin
PLS User
Real name and title:

Re: Excel export issues. Additional info

Post by jamarin »

Excel export works fine with other projects (for example ESCI)
And also in my project but only if I do not use Two sub-samples together as data-groups.
For example. If I choose 2 samples (sample 1 and sample 2) each slitted in two sub-samples, and I run:
a) total sample 1 (n=304) works fine
b) sub-sample 1-1 (n=135) works fine
c) sub-sample 1-2 (n=169) works fine
d) either total sample & sub-sample 1-1 (or 1-2) works fine
e) sub-sample 1-1 & sub-sample 1-2 Does not work excel export
f) total sample 2 (300) works fine
f) sub-sample 1-1 and sub-sample 2-1 Works fine
g) sub-sample 1-1 and sub-sample 2-2 Works fine
h) sub-sample 1-1 and sub-sample 1-2 & sub-sample 2-2 does not Work excel report

It is very estrange because there is no problem with analysis, only with excel export and only in the case that the grups included in the analysis were two sub-samples of the same sample.

I attach an image of the configuration that works (but if I check two sub-samples of the same dataset, excel does not export)
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (132.45 KiB) Viewed 56022 times
Juan Marin
admin
PLS Senior User
Real name and title:

Re: Excel export issues

Post by admin »

Please send an export of your project to our support team: https://support.smartpls.com/
Administration Team
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Excel export issues

Post by jmbecker »

The problem seems to be that your group names are too long. Excel only allows table names of length 31. Thus longer names will be cut. However, if you cut the name for your two groups they are not unique anymore. If the difference occurs early on, it might already help to choose that you do not want to include charts. If the difference in the name is very late in the name, you have to find a different way of naming your groups that is shorter.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
jamarin
PLS User
Real name and title:

jamarin

Post by jamarin »

Just to complete information in order to remember in the future.

The problem is that your groups names are sometimes unique only on the last characters and sometimes on early characters.

For example,
Imputation_(4.0)AA_FilterDevelop(1.0)
Imputation_(5.0)AA_FilterDevelop(1.0)

These are different in an early position.

However,
Imputation_(4.0)AA_FilterDevelop(1.0)
Imputation_(4.0)AA_FilterDevelop(2.0)

are different in a late position.
Juan Marin