MGA and MICOM

This forum is closed, and read-only.
Ingrid Snijders
PLS User
Real name and title: drs Ingrid Snijders

MGA and MICOM

Post by Ingrid Snijders »

Dear all,

I'm working on a research project with data time series. Would anyone like me to help a hand?

First, to be sure how to perform the pre-analysis concerning MGA (time point 1 an 2) and, second, to examine cross lagged relationships using SmartPLS. The data collected concerns initially two HOC's, one as IV and the second als DV/MV and last a DV. The cross lagged relationships concern in between the IV dimensions, and second between IV dimensions (HOC-5 dimensions) and MV (HOC-dimensions) and DV.

Let me know if you could help me out here. Thank you so much.

Ingrid
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: MGA and MICOM

Post by jmbecker »

If you want to model cross-lagged effects you need to model both time points in one model. The usual assumption there is that you have repeated measures of the same entities (e.g., respondents/individuals). You then need the data in a wide format, so that each respondent is a row and both time points are in that same observational row.

However, with such data it does not make sense to use the common MGA, because your have dependent samples/groups, but the MGA requires independent samples/groups. You would need to do an MGA that accounts for the dependency of your samples. Such a test is currently not available in SmartPLS.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
Abdullah
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr Abdullah Alamer

Post by Abdullah »

jmbecker wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:02 pm If you want to model cross-lagged effects you need to model both time points in one model. The usual assumption there is that you have repeated measures of the same entities (e.g., respondents/individuals). You then need the data in a wide format, so that each respondent is a row and both time points are in that same observational row.

However, with such data it does not make sense to use the common MGA, because your have dependent samples/groups, but the MGA requires independent samples/groups. You would need to do an MGA that accounts for the dependency of your samples. Such a test is currently not available in SmartPLS.
Thank you for this useful information. I'm, however, not sure how to set up the cross-lagged panel in the SmartPLS3. Do we need to allow for paths between variables in the same time point (e.g., COM_T2 and DEL_T2 should be associated or not?) or perhaps include the autoregression paths only? Hope this makes sense.
sarahk99
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mrs Sarah Kennedy

Post by sarahk99 »

jmbecker wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:02 pm If you want to model cross-lagged effects you need to model both time points in one model. The usual assumption there is that you have repeated measures of the same entities (e.g., respondents/individuals). You then need the data in a wide format click here, so that each respondent is a row and both time points are in that same observational row.

Thank you for this useful information. I'm, however, not sure how to set up the cross-lagged panel in the SmartPLS3. Do we need to allow for paths between variables in the same time point (e.g., COM_T2 and DEL_T2 should be associated or not?) or perhaps include the autoregression paths only? Hope this makes sense.
You need to check out this tutorial!
http://www.quantpsy.org/pubs/zyphur_all ... press).pdf
Abdullah
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr Abdullah Alamer

Post by Abdullah »

Thanks for sharing this. But I think this paper has demonstrated the method using Mplus, not Smart-PLS. I think cross-lagged panel analysis is not yet implemented in the software. Let's hope this will be included in future updates