When SmartPls will run under JRE 7?
Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in SMEs
KCH1988
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Problems installing Smartpls

Post by KCH1988 »

Hi,
I am not very computer talented with softwares. I want to download smartplas on my mac book but somehow that does not work. Can someone help me?

Kind Regards,
Karo
jiwatr1
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Very simple solution - JRE 7 does not run with SmartPLS

Post by jiwatr1 »

Another very simple solution is to just download the latest version of SmartPls application from SmartPls website and then copy JRE folder from downloaded SmartPls folder and past it in your existing SmartPLS installation folder (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPLS)

Then you dont need to do anything, and can simply run SmartPls without any issues once you have pasted the JRE folder following above procedure. You can even delete the recently downloaded SmartPls folder if you think you dont need it any more as previously functional SmartPls files are already there on your computer.

Good luck

Jiwat
cringle wrote:Hi everyone

SmartPLS 2.0 requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) update 29 (IMPORTANT: 32 bit version!).

This software can be obtained (free of charge) for the computer operating systems Windows, Linux and Solaris.

PLEASE NOTE: SmartPLS 2 does not work with later version (e.g., JRE 7)!!! Everything was working fine including JRE 6 (version 29). However, Java's latest release, JRE 6 (version 31) and JRE 7, causee incompatibility problems with SmartPLS 2. When your bug report (approx. line 3) includes

"java.version=1.6.31"
or
"java.version=1.7.0",

then JRE 6 (version 31) or JRE 7 cause the problems (java.version=1.6.29 and earlier work fine with SmartPLS 2).

What are the solutions?

Solution 1

Just uninstall JRE 7 and install the JRE 6 update 29 (32 bit).
You find JRE 6 update 29 here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 13650.html

If you want to use JRE 7 and SmartPLS you need to keep (or also install) JRE 6 (update 29) on your system. If you already have JRE 6 (update 29, 32 bit) on your hard drive, you can use it for running SmartPLS. You have two other options:

Solution 2 (RECOMMENDED SOLUTION)

Copy JRE 6 (update 29) into the SmartPLS folder to automatically use it on every SmartPLS 2 start.

Step 1: Identify the path to your JRE 6 (update 29, 32 bit) installation (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe) or, if not available, install before JRE 6 update 29 (see solution 1; http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 13650.html).

Step 2: Copy the content of the JRE 6 update 29 (32 bit) folder

Step 3: Identify the SmartPLS installation folder (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPLS)

Step 4: Create a JRE folder in the SmartPLS installation folder (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPLS\jre)

Step 5: Paste the content of the JRE 6 update 29 (32 bit) folder files into the jre folder in your SmartPLS installation (e.g., into c:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPLS\jre)

Then, SmartPLS should automatically use JRE 6 (update 29) on every start.

Solution 3

Use an already existing JRE 6 update 29, 32 bit (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 13650.html) installation by adding a smartpls.ini to your SmartPLS 2 folder.

Step 1: Identify the path to your JRE 6 update 29 (32 bit) installation (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe) and copy the path.

Step 2: Open a text editor program (e.g., text pad) and write the following rows:
-vm
c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe

The second row is the path to your javaw.exe in your JRE 6 update 29 (32 bit) folder from step 1 and may be different in your specific case (installation folder of JRE 6).

Step 3: Save the file as
smartpls.ini
in your SmartPLS 2 program folder (e.g., c:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPLS)

Then, SmartPLS should automatically use JRE 6 pdate 29 (32 bit) on every start.

We hope that things will continue to work!

Best regards
Christian Ringle
lorikendall999
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Startup fails Win 7 with Solution 2 (JRE in SmartPLS folder)

Post by lorikendall999 »

After I unzip the latest version of SmartPLS 2.0 into program files (name of directory is smartpls 2.0) and check to verify that JRE that was included with install is in same directory (JRE and contents), I try to start Smart PLS and get this error message: "An error has occurred. Please see log file \\vmare-host\Shared Folders\eclipse\de.smartpls.main.SmartPLS_2.0.3\configuration\1395511775739.log"

There is no such thing as a directory path called "eclipse\de.smartpls.main...." There is also no such file called "1395511775739.log" anywhere on my computer (I searched all paths). I am using VMWare Fusion. I have SPSS version 21 and Amos installed along with other "PC only" apps that run in this environment. Please explain this obscure message that doesn't describe either a path or an actual file in my environment.

Thank you.
Lori Kendall
Doctoral Candidate, DM 2015
Case Western Reserve University
lori.kendall@case.edu