Q square without blindfolding - Weiber/Mühlhaus

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
mkayser
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Q square without blindfolding - Weiber/Mühlhaus

Post by mkayser »

I was reading Weiber/Mühlhaus (2010) "Strukturgleichungsmodellierung" and was wondering if I can get the Q square just by opening Quality Criteria - Owerview in the report and than in the column "Redundancy" (see page 263). Is this my Q square? Do I only need the blindfolding when I want to get the q squares?

Thank you very much!
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Hey Maike,

The book by Weiber and Mühlhaus (2010) have not much information for the PLS part. It helps a little bit for introducing in the topic but for further analysis you should work with journal papers. In the German working paper “Eine Anwenderorientierte Einführung in PLS” (http://www.ibl-unihh.de/ap21_Stand_Juni2010.pdf) you can also find some important hints on page 35 - 36 for Q^2. In footnote 231 you can also find an important note which value you should use in the SmartPLS output.

Greetings,

Christian
mkayser
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by mkayser »

Thank you Chrsitian,

I was only wondering why Weiber/Mühlhaus preliminary talk about the blindfolding procedure and than it seems as if you can get the Q square directly in the report.
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

This statement by Weiber and Mühlhaus is right. But you have to know which value to take in the output. There is also a small bug in SmartPLS in the calculation which you have to pay attention. Please check following post for that: http://smartpls.de/forum/viewtopic.php? ... redundancy
Greetings,

Christian