loading vs weigth

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
mazi
PLS User
Real name and title:

loading vs weigth

Post by mazi »

Hi every one:
could you please help me what is the difference between loading and weigth in outer model?
Thank you
Nazila Babakhani
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

Loading = correlations between reflective indicators and LV, they are used to compute the AVE and composite reliability.

Weight = weights to compute the LV score:
LV = w1 * x1 + w2 * x2 + w3 * x3

When the indicator are formative we assess the outer weights to have a idea of what is more important in the measurement.

Best regards,

Bido
Bjerg54
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by Bjerg54 »

Hi professor,

If one of the outer weights in a formative model is negative, is this then equal to that this indicator has negative correlation with the dependent variable? or how should such a negative weight be interpreted.
When just doing a linear regression with this one indicator and the indicator in the dependent variable, the regressions is positive, however, low R^2. The t-test value in SmartPLS for this one negative indicator, is however, above 1,96.

BR
anugrah
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by anugrah »

I have same problem when i used pretest. One of the problem is about my respondents did not understand what my question is. So, i re-arrange my question, and that is work.