EFA Higher-Order construct

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
NRECUERO
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: nuria recuero virto. PhD

EFA Higher-Order construct

Post by NRECUERO »

Good afternoon,

I was asked to test EFA as I have higher-order constructs in my model. I was advised to read "Lee, C., Hallak, R., & Sardeshmukh, S. R. (2016). Innovation, entrepreneurship, and restaurant performance: A higher-order structural model. Tourism Management, 53, 215-228". However, as we can see, Lee et al. 2016 presents a dimension that does not fulfil the criteria for R2 of one of the dimensions and states that as previously other scholars have test these second order constructs they included this dimension.
My doubt is: is it necessary to test EFA for higher-order constructs? And moreover, when this have already been tested as second order constructs in literature (such as market orientation)?
Could I justify this saying that previous literature have already tested the second-order constructs? Is there any literature about this that does justify not testing previously an EFA?

Thanks in advance
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: EFA Higher-Order construct

Post by jmbecker »

I generally think that using an EFA for an established construct does not make much sense. You are more intrested in confirming (CFA) prior assumptions about the measurement model. This is not well done in an EFA.
An EFA would be more appropriate if the measurement instrument (in your case the second-order construct) is newly developed. Here, it might make sense also for second-order constructs to use EFA to explore the factor structure of the first-oder constructs, for example.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de