This forum is closed, and read-only.
planix
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Indicators don't show up

Post by planix »

Hi,

I am using SmartPLS 2.0.M2.

I have linked a tab delimited text file and accepted all the default options apart from identifying a missing values option in the import dialog. Once the import is completed the csv icon in the Projects treelist has a question mark over it. I indicate that it is a tab delimited file and press the Validate button. I then Save the project and the csv icon switches to normal view. I then go to the empty model (*.splsm), double click and go to Settings and set MV to use project settings.

But, no indicators appear in the indicators list box.

So, what am I missing? Is there a possible fault in the txt file I am trying to import? Have I done something in error with setting the MV's? I am stumped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Alistair Campbell
Senior Lecturer, Clinical Psychology
Associate Head of School
James Cook University
School of Psychology
Alistair Campbell, PhD
Associate Head of School
Director, JCU Psychology Clinic
James Cook University
AUSTRALIA
derfuss
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by derfuss »

Hi,

I had a similar problem the first time. Try right-clicking on the txt-file in the Projects treelist and click "Use data for calculation". After that, it worked, at least with my txt file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Klaus Derfuß
planix
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by planix »

Hi Klaus,

worked like a dream. Thanks. Clearly this needs to be documented.

Cheers

Alistair
Alistair Campbell, PhD
Associate Head of School
Director, JCU Psychology Clinic
James Cook University
AUSTRALIA
Masako
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Indicators don't show up for me either

Post by Masako »

I have a similar problem, and when I right click on the text file under program tree, I do not see a tab named "use data for calculation". Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

Masako Taylor
PhD candidate
Cornell University
School of Hotel Administration
sandra
PLS User
Real name and title:

Re: Indicators don't show up for me either

Post by sandra »

This happened to me, too. The problem was that one of my variables in the data file was not numerical. After removing this variable it was o.k.

good luck!
awill
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title:

Post by awill »

If SmartPLS can not import a data file, this file is marked with a tiny red symbol whithin the project explorer. This usually happens if the file contains non numeric characters or a separation character that could not be automatically detected by the software.

In this case you can use the validate function of the CSV editor tool to find out what exactly is wrong with the marked data file. To start the tool, simply double click on a data file.

After a sucessful import, there is no red marker on the data file and the option use data for calculation is visible in the context menu - this is not the case if the file is marked as erroneous. If a data file is chosen for the calculation, this file is marked with a tiny green symbol.
Masako
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Thank you

Post by Masako »

Uni and Alexander,

It was indeed the non-numeric numbers (e.g. 200a, 200b) that were included as case numbers. Thank you so much for your help!

Masako
so silva
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mrs Sónia Silva

Re: Indicators don't show up

Post by so silva »

Hi, im having the same problem, but my data is green so i think it is all ok, nut the indicators still do not show on the canvas... need help please
purplebubble
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Lee

Re: Indicators don't show up

Post by purplebubble »

Dear so silva,

I had the same issue and managed to resolve it by the following ways:-
1) Select all cells in Excel and click autofit column width (home tab -> cells -> format -> autofit column width) to expand large numbers that look like this: 2.88E+12
2) In case some cells still contain the letter E, select those cells and format them into numbers (right click the cell -> format cells -> number)