Hierarchical Factor Model in SmartPLS: Confusing!

This forum is closed, and read-only.
Eins
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by Eins »

Dear All,

I tried to study how SmartPLS will handle a Hierarchical Factor Model. For our example, let me use the model posted by liaw wei, which link is shown below. As shown, the 15 items are loaded already to the corresponding first-level 4 LVs. My question is in the second-level latent, the one in red ellipse. So that the model will work, all the 15 items should be loaded also to that second-level LV. May I know why we do like this?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1117 ... 1694524386

Eins
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

This is repeated indicators.

Regards.
nayabeyes
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Re: Hierarchical Factor Model in SmartPLS: Confusing!

Post by nayabeyes »

Yeah you are missing some further steps. check this tutorial on youtube and you will find the answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPeUTKjMF7o

Also read it.
Becker, J.-M., Klein, K., & Wetzels, M. (2012). Hierarchical Latent Variable Models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for Using Reflective-Formative Type Models. Long Range Planning, 45(5-6), 359–394. confer:363p, 365p.
MURAD ALI, Ph.D
bwilson
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by bwilson »

nayabeyes wrote:
Also read it.
Becker, J.-M., Klein, K., & Wetzels, M. (2012). Hierarchical Latent Variable Models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for Using Reflective-Formative Type Models. Long Range Planning, 45(5-6), 359–394. confer:363p, 365p.
See the work by Wilson and Henseler ANZMAC paper
AND Handbook of PLS 2010
Bradley Wilson. Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Advertising.
RMIT University.
School of Media and Communication.
GPO Box 2476V
Location. 9.5.20
Melbourne. Victoria.
Australia.

SEE FOR PUBLICATIONS
www.rmit.edu.au/staff/bradleywilson
PJ Rosenberger
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by PJ Rosenberger »

That looks like it answers a question I had for doing a second-order reflective-formative factor (Mode B) as a dependent variable. I had read the PLS Primer book, but it did not really walk through that version of HOCs.

The YouTube link was handy.

Thanks to everyone who posted answers to the original query, as it has helped with my own situation!
Dr PJ Rosenberger III
Lecturer in Marketing

Marketing Group
University of Newcastle
Business Offices
10 Chittaway Road
Ourimbah NSW 2258
Australia
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

You have type II 2nd order construct. Used Two-stage approach for estimate that.

Regards,
nayabeyes
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by nayabeyes »

Hi Rosenberge, you are right, the PLS Primer book does not deal much with HOCs. Hope in the second edition.

Few of the most recent papers dealing with higher order factors in PLS as follows:

Becker, J.Michael., Klein, K., and Wetzels, M. (2012): Hierarchical latent variable models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for using reflective-formative type models. Long Range Planning, Vol. 45, Issue 5-6, 359-394.

Wetzels, M., Odekerken-Schröder, G., van Oppen, C. (2009). Using PLS path modeling for assessing hierarchical construct models: guidelines and empirical illustration. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33 No. 1, pp. 177-195.

Wilden, R., Gudergan, S.P., Nielsen, B.B., and Lings, I. (2013). Dynamic capabilities and performance: Strategy, structure and environment. Long Range Planning, 46: 72-96

Wilson, B., and Henseler, J. (2007). Modeling Reflective Higher-order Constructs Using Three Approaches with PLS Path Modeling: A Monte Carlo Comparison. Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Otago, Australia, pp. 791-800.
MURAD ALI, Ph.D