different t-statistics values

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
hudapg
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

different t-statistics values

Post by hudapg »

Hello:

I ran the bootstrapping test to calculate the t-statistics using No Sign Change option and 5000 resamples. however every time I run the test the values are different although it's a slight difference.. But I would like to know if there's anyway to insure that the values are stable every time I run the test.
I also noticed that the values that appear on top of the arrows are slightly different from those that appear in the output.

Can any one advise please.
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

The bootstrap is based on random resampling with replacement the original sample, for this reason, every time that you run the bootstrap the resamples will be different from the previous, and paths (mean) and t-values will be different too.

Some hints:
1) Do not use the option “No sign changes”, use individual or construct level changes.
See:
Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sinkovics, R. R. (2009). The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing. Advances in International Marketing, 20, 277–319. doi:10.1108/S1474-7979(2009)0000020014
Tenenhaus, M., Esposito Vinzi, V., Chatelin, Y.-M., & Lauro, C. (2005). PLS path modeling. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 48(1), 159–205. doi:10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005

2) 5000 resamples are enough to stable t-values.

3) in the next doubts, look for the answer in the “Search” function (right corner)

Best regards,
Bido
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,
No sign change, Individual sign change or Construct level change have little different result and little impact on T-statistis. This is similar with we choice scheme for construct ABC. In XLSTAT-PLSPM and WarpPLS not have option for run bootstrap, because the programs are stable.

About number of bootstrap sample, Efron recommended 200-400 for correct standard error and 2000-4000 for confidence interval. But in WarpPLS Ned kock believe number of bootstrap sample maximum 1000, because if model very complex the program very slowly for run model (need many hours).

Greatings,
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,
Some references about this:

Henseler et al. (2009, p.307) = use “individual sign changes”.

Tenenhaus et al. (2005, p.177) =
- “no sign changes” is very conservative (low t-values), they do not recommend it.
- Individual sign changes: The signs in each resample are made consistent with the signs in the original sample without ensuring a global coherence.
This option is not recommend in general because of the lack of global coherence.
- Construct level changes (default):

Hair Jr. et al. (2013, p.135-136) =
- 1st) Use “no sign change”, if result is significant --> conclusion = significant
- 2nd) Use “no sign change”, if result is not significant, use individual sign changes, if the results is not significant --> conclusion = not significant
- 3rd) Use “no sign change”, if result is not significant, use individual sign changes, if the results is significant --> use “construct level changes” --> conclusion = this last result
--> p.130-136 = Good explanation about bootstrap in SmartPLS.

I usually use “construct level changes”!

Hair Jr., J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2013). A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) (p. 307). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.

Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sinkovics, R. R. (2009). The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing. Advances in International Marketing, 20, 277–319. doi:10.1108/S1474-7979(2009)0000020014

Tenenhaus, M., Esposito Vinzi, V., Chatelin, Y.-M., & Lauro, C. (2005). PLS path modeling. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 48(1), 159–205. doi:10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005

Best regards,
Bido
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

Example

ECSI (mobi250.csv) - downloads/samples/ecsi.splsp

Run Bootstrap procedure (Cases = 250 // Samples = 1000)

See the outer loading results (Report / Boot../Boot../ Outer loading (Mean,..) for
CUSL2 <- Loyality

No sign changes --> t = 1.93; 1.93; 1.93

Individual sign changes --> t = 2.08; 2.11; 2.06

Construct level sign changes --> t = 1.83; 1.87; 1.95; 1.92; 1.90

Conclusion = non significant !

Best regards,

Bido
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hello Bido,
I understand all explanation above and I know all references, but for me it’s not clear.
This issue suggest by Wold (1985, p. 582-583). He state All information between blocks of indicators is conveyed by the LVs via the inner relations.
1. The expected sign of the correlation between each indicator and and it’s LV
2. The expected sign of the correlation between any two adjoint LVs.
But Wold not detail explain future, just short.
Chin (1993, p. 15) see this issue and later application in PLS-Graph with three options: No Sign Change, Individual Sign Change and Construct Level Change. The argument are structural path, loadings, and weights obtained from the PLS runs for the full sample (i.e., original sample cases) and each of the resamples can have arbitrary differences with regards to the signs. Tenenhaus et al. (2005, p. 177) later test this issue using ECSI model with PLS Graph. They State:
1. No sign change: not recommend because low T-statistic
2. Individual sign change: also not recommend because of the lack of global coherence. But Henseler et al. (2009, p. 307) not agree, they recommend used Individual sign change with reason below
“If a PLS path coefficient estimation for a bootstrap subsample shows a different sign compared with the original path model estimation, the procedure reverses the sign of that path coefficient in the bootstrapping subsample. Thus, the signs in the outer and inner models of each resample are made consistent with the signs in the original sample in order to avoid these sign-change- related problems,”
3. Construct level change: Tenenhaus et al. (2005) recommend but In the case of mode B, the use of outer weights to compare the LVs estimates in the original sample and in the resamples may be misleading in presence of strong multicollinearity between the related MVs.
So, you can see, all option is puzzle. I also search in Bradley Efron all books (1982, 1993, 2006), but Efron not create category sign change for bootstrap. So, I think sign change just purpose for correct different structural path, loadings, and weights from algortihm PLS and resamples bootstrapping. It’s not important, because bootstrapping just for result T-statistic, not for know loading etc. Current software such XLSTAT-PLSPM and WarpPLS not have option for ran bootstrap (you can see that).

References:
Chin, W. W. 1993-2003. PLS Graph 3.0. Houston: Soft Modeling Inc.
Efron, B. 1982. The jackknife, the bootstrap, and other resampling plans. Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Efron, B.,and Tibshirani,R.J.1993. An introduction to the bootstrap. New York: Chapman Hall.
Efron, B. 2006. Large Scale in Inference: Empirical Bayes Methods for Estimation, Testing and Prediction. Cambridge University Press.
Kock, N. 2012. WarpPLS 3.0 User Manual. Laredo, TX: ScriptWarp Systems.
Tenenhaus, M., EspositoVinzi,V., Chatelin,Y.-M., and Lauro, C. 2005. “PLS path modeling,” Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, (48:1), pp. 159-205.
Wold, H. 1982. “Soft modeling: the basic design and some extensions,” In: Jöreskog K. G,. and Wold, H (Eds) Systems under indirect observation. Causality, structure, prediction, Vol II. North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp 1-54.
Wold, H. 1985. “Partial least squares,” In Kotz, S., and Johnson, N.L (Eds.), Encyclopedia of statistical sciences (Vol. 8, pp. 587-599). New York: Wiley.
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

This post is being very complete!

What is the problem that these “sign changes schemes” are trying to solve?

I will try exemplifying with two cases.

Case 1) The usual situation
Being: b = path coefficient or outer loading = very close to 0.0 = for instance +0.1

When we run the bootstrap procedure, some samples will result in negative or positive values for b, meaning that b is not significant. Everything will be ok.

Case 2) The unusual situation
Being: b = path coefficient or outer loading = clearly different from 0.0 = for instance +0.6

When we run the bootstrap procedure, some resamples will result in negative or positive values, but the negative values were caused by “sign indeterminacy”.
Sign indeterminacy = In some resamples all signs are changed (paths coefficients and loadings negatives instead of positives), what results in non significant t-values.

=================================

NO SIGN CHANGES
For situations like case 1: The results (t-values) will be ok.

If you want to see this: run the bootstrap (no sign) in the ECSI model, copy the results from:
Bootstrapping/bootstrapping/outer loadings
Paste them in a Excel spreadsheet and sort the values of
CUSL2 <- Loyality
You will see that some values are negative and others are positive, but this is ok.

For situations like case 2: The results (t-values) will be underestimated.
This is very uncommon, since 2005 I had saw something like this once or twice!
Unfortunately I didn’t save these examples, but it was something like this:

Original sample

LV1 --> - 0.40 --> LV2
Load_11 = 0.70 | Load_12 = 0.70
Load_21 = 0.70 | Load_22 = 0.70
Load_31 = 0.70 | Load_32 = 0.70
Load_41 = 0.70 | Load_42 = 0.70

Results in some resamples of the bootstrap

LV1 --> + 0.40 --> LV2
Load_11 = 0.70 | Load_12 = - 0.70
Load_21 = 0.70 | Load_22 = - 0.70
Load_31 = 0.70 | Load_32 = - 0.70
Load_41 = 0.70 | Load_42 = - 0.70

Conclusion of this example: the path coefficient and the outer loadings of LV2 will be nonsignificant!

------------------------------

INDIVIDUAL SIGN CHANGES
For situations like case 1: Each resample that has negative sign will be changed to positive. In this case we are “correcting” something that was not wrong!

Run the bootstrap (individual sign) in the ECSI model, copy the results from:
Bootstrapping/bootstrapping/outer loadings
Paste them in a Excel spreadsheet and sort the values of
CUSL2 <- Loyality
You will see that all values are positive, and t-values will be overestimated (variance was reduced).

For situations like case 2: All signs will be positive (equal the original sample), then if happened some change of signs in the resamples, this is corrected.

CONSTRUCT LEVEL CHANGES

It is a compromise between the two options.

“considers a group a group of coefficients (e.g., all outer weights) simultaneously and compares the signs of the original PLS path model estimation with those of bootstrap subsample. If the majority of signs need to be reversed in a bootstrap run to match the signs of the model estimation using the original sample, all signs are reversed in that bootstrap run. Otherwise, no sign are changed. […] Some signs are changed for improvement, but the results do not 100% match the signs of the original model estimation.” [p.135].
Hair Jr., J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2013). A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) (p. 307). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.

Best regards,
Bido
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert

Post by Hengkov »

Hello Bido,

I usually used all option (No Sign Change, Individual Sign Change and Construct level Change), because for me the result just little different (0.005 or less). Ringle and colleagues also used all option in some paper PLS, I find it (not only Construct level change). Thus, for clear this issue, I just need, you show or provide Wold basic design PLS or Efron basic design bootstrap "original" about three options sign change. Where are this options from?
I already check many document by Wold and Efron, but not find three option it. I just find this idea from PLS Graph.

Btw, in XLSTAT forum, Prof. Vinzi state: XLSTAT-PLSPM not have options for ran bootstrap, because the program are stable. So, it's mean SmartPLS not stable? Do you think so?

Sorry, making your trouble Bido Hehehehe..... B-) ;-)

Regards,