Principle component analysis for reflective scale before PLS

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Katja G
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Principle component analysis for reflective scale before PLS

Post by Katja G »

I have a question concerning reflective measures in PLS. I'm trying to construct a reflective scale. I thought about the procedure in PLS as similar to Principle Component analysis. My colleague, who took PLS course, suggested me to run a PCA first on my data before starting analysis in PLS. Then in PLS I'm supposed to place items into factors in accordance with what I found in PCA. Is it really so? Or is PLS sufficient to construct a reflective scale? (assuming I would check the scale with AVE, Cronbach alpa, etc.).

I would be grateful for your response!
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Katja,

PCA/EFA appropriate for development construct. In SEM and PLS used CFA for evaluation outer moder or measurement model. Check literature below for different EFA and CFA. For construct with model A, asses convergent and discriminant validity and also composite reliability.

Kline, R. B. 2013. "Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis," In Y. Petscher & C. Schatsschneider (Eds.), Applied quantitative analysis in the social sciences. New York: Routledge.

Widaman, K. F. 2011. "Exploratory factor analysis and confirmatory factor analysis," In H. Cooper, P. M. Camic, D. L. Long, A. T. Panter, D. Rindskopf, & K. J. Sher (Eds.), APA handbook of research methods in psychology, Vol. 3: Data analysis and research publication (pp. 361-389). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.

Best Regards,
Hengky