Moderation and mediation

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
ruwanmrp
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Ruwan Wijesinghe

Moderation and mediation

Post by ruwanmrp »

Hi,

I have three moderating and/or two mediating variables in my study. Should I take the impact of these impacts as one construct,(moderating as one construct and mediating as one construct), or should I take a separate construct for each moderator and mediator variable? Or should I test each at one time?

May I have your valuable thoughts on this?

Thank you

Ruwan
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Moderation and mediation

Post by jmbecker »

Usually you want to keep them separated but all include them in one model.

However, sometimes it also may make sense to estimate different models. It really depends on what you want to test and what you want to understand.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
ruwanmrp
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Ruwan Wijesinghe

Post by ruwanmrp »

Thank you very much for your comment.

My model predicts the investors' behaviour.

For example, If I want to test the moderation impact of investment amount and the macroeconomic factors, should I run the model with one moderation at a time or both simultaneously? Because it provides different results.

My other concern is,

Since I predict the behaviour I use RMSE or MAE value to decide the prediction ability. How can I use RMSE values of different models for comparison purposes? For example, if I want to compare the investors with lenders.

Thank you very much, and I appreciate your valuable guidance.

Ruwan
Alin
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Nur Azzlin Mangsor(Student)

Post by Alin »

Hi,

Azzlin here. I have a question for running moderator analysis in smart pls 4. I have 4 moderators in 1 model.Is it right to run all moderators at once time in smart pls 4 since not appropriate to run all in smart pls 3 previously?

Another one question,Do I have to run pls algorithm instead consistent algorithm for moderating analysis as my model included all reflective constructs since smart pls 4 running two stage approach?Can results turn diferrently according to it?

Thank you in advanced!