Categorical exogenous variable

PLS is broadly applied in modern business research. This forum is the right place for discussions on the use of PLS in the fields of Marketing, Strategic Management, Information Technology etc.
beckily
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Phil Be

Categorical exogenous variable

Post by beckily »

Dear all,

I am currently working on my master thesis.
Before I go ahead with my final survey, I would like to make myself familiar with SmartPLS as I have never used this software before.

My model has one main exogenous variable, two assumed mediators, one dependent variable after the mediators and a subsequent DV after the first.
Furthermore, the two mediation paths are assumed to be moderated (by binary categorical variables).
I also assume a direct effect of the IV on the first DV.

Now, my question is: Can I calculate this model in SmartPLS as a SEM?
My exogenous variable reflects the three experimantel conditions and will therefore by reflecting three independent group levels.
I understand, that they would need to be transformed into dummy variables accordingly, right?
But how can I measure the effects? And does it matter which group is assigned as the reference group or can I simply switch it around to analyze all effects?

My other option would by to employ a measurement to capture my DV in a non categorical way, however this would not be an ideal representation of my research topic.

I would be delighted to learn from the knowledgable people in this forum.

Kind regards

PS: Please find a draft of my proposed model attached. https://imgur.com/a/KbWI33A