composite reliability scores

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

composite reliability scores

Post by viswadatta »

Some posts have indicated a score of at least 0.7 for composit reliability. But composit reliability is equivalent to rho in covariance methods, where a minimum value of 0.5 is used. Any reason why the difference?

Regards

Vivek
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi Vivek,

they are two different things:

convergent validity --> rho or AVE > 0,5
reliability --> composite reliabililty > 0,7

Best regards.

Bido
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

rho meaninf

Post by viswadatta »

Thanks prof bido

Which is to be used, composite reliability or alpha?

Regards

Vivek
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi Vivek,

It is better when both of them are upper then 0,7, but in the SEM context there are some critics (see references) about using Alpha to measure reliability (same weight for all indicators), then report both of them, but make sure that composite reliability is upper then 0,7.

Best regards.

Bido

BROWN, Timothy A. Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research. USA: The Guilford Press, 2006. p.337-345.
CHIN, W. W. The Partial Least Squares approach to structural equation modeling. In: MARCOULIDES, G. A. (Ed.) Modern Methods for business research. USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., p. 320, 1998.
GERBING, David W.; ANDERSON, James C. An Updated Paradigm for Scale Development Incorporating Unidimensionality and its Assessment. Journal of Marketing Research.
v. XXV. 1988. p.190.
HANCOCK, Gregory R.; MUELLER, Ralph O. Rethinking construct reliability within latent variable systems. In: CUDECK, Robert; DU TOIT, Stephen; SÖRBOM, Dag (Ed.). Structural Equation Modeling: present and future: a festschrift in honor of Karl Jöreskog. USA: Scientific Software International, 2001. p.195-216.
SCHUMACKER, Randall E.; LOMAX, Richard G. A Beginner’s Guide to Structural Equation Modeling. 2nd Ed. USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 2004. p. 178-180.
VEHKALAHTIN, Kimmo; PUNTANEN, Simo; TARKKONEN, Lauri. Estimation of reliability: a better alternative for Cronbach’s alpha. Reports in Mathematics. Finland: University of Helsinki, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, 2006. Available in: <http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/reports/Preprint430.pdf>.
ruchi
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by ruchi »

Dear Prof. Bido

Can you please guide me , how to check for unidimensionality for my block in SmartPLS. OR do i need to use SPSS

Thanks
Ruchi
mymohasan5
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

lack cronbach alpha

Post by mymohasan5 »

dear prof bido
how if my measurement shows that good composite reliability but lack cronbach alpha.. ??
what should I do ? n how to interpret it ?
thank you .. :)
student of airlangga university on economic and business majority
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Ruchi,
For check unidimensionality block => check item reliability.
Hi Yusron,
Alpha PLS under estimate, used CR > 0.7.
Regards,
Hengky