Significance affected by number of cases in bootstrap

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
moataz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Significance affected by number of cases in bootstrap

Post by moataz »

Dear All,

I have a sample of 643 observations. Upon testing my model, some paths in the model were significant. However, when I split my sample into two sub-samples (for group comparison based on gender) I found that at least one -previously significant - path was no more significant for both sub-samples. Please note that, when running bootstrap for sub-samples, I have used the number of cases for the respective sub-sample, rather than the original sample. Specifically, 301 cases for males and 342 for females. Now, when I re-run the bootstrap algorithm for sub-samples, but using the original sample's number of cases (643), I get a more meaningful result.

Sorry for the long introduction, but now the core question is: the number of cases in bootstrapping must be equal to the number of cases in the sub-sample or can be equal to or more than that number?

Thank you!

Moataz Soliman
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi Moataz,
For Multigroup Analysis, number of cases equal to sub-samples (male or female).
See some literature below:
Chin, W.W. 2000. FAQ PLS http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/plsfac.htm
Keil et al. 2000. A cross-cultural study on escalation of commitment behavior in software projects. MIS Quarterly (24:2), pp.299-325
Henseler, J. 2012. PLS-MGA: A Non-Parametric Approach
Sarstedt et al. 2011. Multigoup Analysis in PLS Path Modeling. Advances in International Marketing (22), pp.195-218.
Regards,
Hengky
Last edited by Hengkov on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moataz
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by moataz »

Hi Sarjana,

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative reply.

Kind Regards,

Moataz
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Ok, your welcome and good luck.
Regards,
Hengky