Mean and SD of latent variables

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
harmindersingh
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Mean and SD of latent variables

Post by harmindersingh »

Hi -

Does anyone know how to obtain the mean and std deviation values for latent variables? I looked at the section called "Latent Variable Scores" in the SmartPLS output file and, as I expected, the mean of those values is 0 (zero) and the SD is 1. As far as I know, that's a requirement for PLS to run.

However, I've seen papers that have published the mean and SD values for the latent variables. Do they calculate them manually (e.g. multiplying the raw data with the factor loadings)? Or are these values somewhere in the SmartPLS output file?

Thanks
harmindersingh
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Index values

Post by harmindersingh »

I did the calculations manually and figured out that the "Index Values for Latent Variables" in the output are the mean values for the latent variables. I don't think the SDs are available in the output.

- harminder
allenjia
PLS Senior User
Real name and title:

about mean and std of latent variable

Post by allenjia »

We always need to report the mean/std/whether squrared root of AVE are above corrleation. Thus, I searched the forum and found the following answer by Dr. Bido. Hope it helps! viewtopic.php?t=754&highlight=standard+ ... t+variable
Do the formative by using PLS!!
harmindersingh
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Thanks

Post by harmindersingh »

Thanks- I'll try that..
allenjia
PLS Senior User
Real name and title:

Post by allenjia »

However, the problem comes. I do not know how to figure it. Maybe I understand the method in a wrong way. SD and Mean of LV are always reported in publications, but it looks like that there is not many person interested in how to do that here.

Please see:
viewtopic.php?t=2028&highlight=latent+variable+score
Do the formative by using PLS!!
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

1) The simple way:
Run the PLS algorithm
Report / Index Values / Results / Latent Variable Scores (unstandardized)
Copy these results to Excel
Compute the mean and s.d.
Done.

2) The complex way:

The procedure above will give you the values with some difference in the second decimal place (bug), and if you want the exact unstandardized scores, you should compute by hand as it was explained in the: viewtopic.php?t=812&highlight=unstandardized++score

Bido