How to measure reflective and formative combined construct in lower order

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
thossain
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr Taufique Hossain

How to measure reflective and formative combined construct in lower order

Post by thossain »

Hello,
I am very new to PLS. My model is a three order reflective model. However, in the lower order, I have a combination of formative and reflective measures. Please see the attached file of the model. I have used repeated indicator approach. Please let me know whether this is ok or not given the combined formative and reflective construct. Also, is there any literature support for this kind of model?
Model.png
Model.png (47.93 KiB) Viewed 11970 times
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: How to measure reflective and formative combined construct in lower order

Post by jmbecker »

There is not really research addressing mixed lower-order constructs.

A potential problem with the repeated-indicator approach is the direction (i.e., Mode) of the indicators on the higher-order constructs. For formative lower order measures it should be Mode B (i.e., inwards pointing) and for reflective lower order measures it should be Mode A (i.e., outwards pointing).

Similar problems might arise with a two-stage approach in the second stage. Although I would be more comfortable to recommend to use Mode A (outwards pointing) for the mixed indicators in this case, there is no research that has ever shown that it is possible/preferable.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
erodriguez029
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: PhD Estibaliz Rodriguez Nuñez

Re: How to measure reflective and formative combined construct in lower order

Post by erodriguez029 »

Hello, I have the same case now. Would you please give me some reference to easily understand every step to develop the two stage approach when using formative and reflective indicators in the same second order variable? Thanks in advance.