Path coefficients and Total Effects

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
GFord
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Path coefficients and Total Effects

Post by GFord »

Dear All

I am new to SmartPLS and need some help in understanding how PLS calculates the total effects matrix. I have searched the forum and the literature provided and have not found the answers yet, so I would really appreciate the community's help.

I have 2 positive path coefficients which are now reflecting as negative in the total effects matrix To illustrate:
Path Coefficient Total Effects
V1 --> V2 = 0.06 -0.127

V1 is an exogenous variable, whilst V2 is endogenous in that
V3 --> V2; V4 -- V2; V5 -- V2

V1 --> V3, and V1 --> V4

My question is as follows: Is the total effects reflecting the effects of only those variables that are affected by both V1 and V2, or is the total effects calculated only on the basis of the effects of the variables affecting V2?
In other words, is the total effects calculated based on the effects of V3, V4 and V5, or only on V3 and V4?

My second question is how does SmartPLS select the additional paths to include in the total effects matrix?

I am struggling to understand whether the total effects matrix is important in terms of analysing and interpreting my data for my PhD thesis.

Any help would be appreciated
Kind regards
Gabrielle