CTA-PLS using the Two-Stage Approach

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Jennifer H.
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Jennifer Hendricks, Phd candidate

CTA-PLS using the Two-Stage Approach

Post by Jennifer H. »

Hello,

I would like to use CTA-PLS for specifying a higher-order construct. In "Advanced issues in PLS" (Hair et al. 2018, p. 54) there is a recommendation for employing the two-stage approach in this case. As the tow-stage approach uses the standardized latent variable scores, I am not sure if the interpretation of the CTA-PLS results is the same with this approach? Attached you find my results and my conclusion.

"As more than one of the construct’s tetrads is significantly different from 0, the null hypothesis is rejected and a formative measurement specification between the first- and the second-order constructs is confirmed (Hair et al. 2019a)."

Thank you very much in advance!

Best,
Jennifer
Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (184.28 KiB) Viewed 50842 times
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: CTA-PLS using the Two-Stage Approach

Post by cringle »

Sounds reasonable. Just run the two-stage approach as explained here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8219301223

Then, just run the CTA-PLS on the second stage.
Jennifer H.
PLS Junior User

Post by Jennifer H. »

Dear Professor Ringle,

Thank you very much for your help and the literature reference! I know this paper and found it very useful for specifying higher-order constructs! I actually employed the embedded two-stage approach and ran the CTA as you recommend, I was just wondering if my interpretation of the results is correct because based on the latent variable scores, the results look quite different from those in a regular CTA analysis...

Again, thank you very much for your great support!
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

The numbers in the resutls look very larger indeed. You probably did not correctly copy, paste, save and import the latent variable scores.
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

Actually, you should better use the unstandardized latent variables scores from the IPMA as indicators on the second stage to conduct the CTA. Usually, it does not make much of a difference, whether you use unstandardized or standardized latent variable scores as indicators, but the CTA works on covariances so you will only get reasonable results from unstandardized data.
Just run the IPMA on your first stage model.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
Jennifer H.
PLS Junior User

Post by Jennifer H. »

Dear Professor Becker, dear Professor Ringle,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback! I conducted the first analysis again and finally identified the errors! I also ran the IPMA and used the unstandardized latent variable scores as indicators, and the CTA results regarding the higher-order construct specification remain the same. I am very grateful for your advice and for being able to do it correctly.