low path coefficients with acceptable R²?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
MarketingStudent
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

low path coefficients with acceptable R²?

Post by MarketingStudent »

Hi everybody,

I am at the end of my analysis, but stucked with the interpretation.

Could you give me a hint on how to interpret very low, but significant path coefficients (0.11) in relation to dependent variables with R squares that still reach the minimum level of 0.19?
--> Why are the path coefficients so low? Shouldn't a 0.19 R² reflect that the variance in that construct is explained at least to a little extent by the relation between the independent and dependent variable?

(I included two independet variables as control variables for the dependent variables, since the R squares were actually first below 0.19. This caused the R squares to increase and to reach the 0.19 level, however the path coefficients dropped to below 0.2 as mentioned above (before they were 0.21-0.22). Should I still leave the control variables in the model?)

Thank you very mich in advance for any help.

Best regards
Michelle
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi Michelle,

Remembering that:

R2 = b1*r1y + b2 * r2y + .... + bn*rny

Where:
b1 = path coefficient from x1 to y
r1y = correlations between x1 and y

The path coefficient goes down when we have multicollinearity (in your model, correlation between independent variable and the control variables)

Best regards,

Bido
MarketingStudent
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by MarketingStudent »

Thank you very much Professor Bido!