COMMON METHOD BIAS

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
belinda
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

COMMON METHOD BIAS

Post by belinda »

With regard to checking for common method bias, I have just used SmartPLS according to the following advised method:

LIANG, H.; SARAF, N.; HU, Q.; XUE, Y. Assimilation of enterprise systems: the effect of institutional pressures and the mediating role of top management. MIS Quarterly. v.31, n.1, p.59-87, mar/2007.

These authors advise that for the indicators created as single indicator constructs their "measurement error and loading have to be constrained to zero and one, respectively".

MY QUESTION: How does one accomplish this using Smartpls?
Belinda Dewsnap
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Hey Belinda,

Please check following post for an answer:

viewtopic.php?t=639&highlight=cmv

Best regards,

Christian
belinda
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

CMV

Post by belinda »

Thanks, but it is something quite specific from the procedure advised by Liang et al that I don't know to do, vis:

These authors advise that for the indicators created as single indicator constructs their "measurement error and loading have to be constrained to zero and one, respectively".

Hopeful thanks,
Belinda
Belinda Dewsnap
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Sorry!

Isn't that condition automatically fulfilled for a single indicator measurement?

If we use only one indicator for measurement the loading has to be 1 and therefore the measurement error is 0. I am not fully understand the comment of Liang et al. ;-)

Please correct me, if I am wrong!

Best regards,

Christian
belinda
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

CMV

Post by belinda »

Yes, that's right. So, their instruction is somewhat redundant!

Thank you very much for resolving this; it is much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Belinda
Belinda Dewsnap
mronkko
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by mronkko »

You should note that the Liang et al. does actually nothing to control for method variance. The reason for this is explained in detail in our paper that is cited in this thread. We also provide an alternative with simulation evidence supporting the method.

viewtopic.php?t=1573