Outer Weights vs. Outer Loadings

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
woltersfrank
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Outer Weights vs. Outer Loadings

Post by woltersfrank »

Hello all,

Could somebody tell me the difference between Outer Weights and Outer Loadings (in the report of bootstrapping).

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Frank
Schnuffel84
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by Schnuffel84 »

Hello,

outer loadings are for reflective incidators and outer weights fpr formative indicators. That´s the way I understand it :)

Best regards,
Larissa
Carrera
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Carrera »

I've read that a good value for outer loadings is 0.8. Are values above 0.7 aceptable too?
Schnuffel84
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by Schnuffel84 »

Yes, they are :)
Carrera
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Carrera »

What's the criterium for outer loadings by reflective indicators all values above 0.6 are acceptable? or above 0.7?
ruchi
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

VIF , formative construct, outer weights or loadings

Post by ruchi »

Hello

I need to validate my formative indicators. For this I need to check the significance level of the indicators measuring a construct(Variable). Example
quality = w1* coverage + w2* customer care.

to validate this construct , I need to check significance lebel of these indicators . Am i right and then also check the VIF .
My doubts is

1) How will I calculate this VIF between these indicators in PLS
2) here w1 and w 2 are -- outer loadings or outer weights in report after running bootstrap.

Please clear my doubts.

Thanks
Ruchi
lockylaw
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Locky Law

Re: Outer Weights vs. Outer Loadings

Post by lockylaw »

8 years later and still waiting for an answer.
lockylaw
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Dr. Locky Law

Re: Outer Weights vs. Outer Loadings

Post by lockylaw »

"Outer loadings: are the estimated relationships in reflective measurement models (i.e., arrows from the latent variable to its indicators). They determine an item's absolute contribution to its assigned construct. Loadings are of primary interest in the evaluation of reflective measurement models but are also interpreted when formative measures are involved. "

"Outer weights: are the results of a multiple regression of a construct on its set of indicators. Weights are the primary criterion to assess each indicator's relative importance in formative measurement models. "

Hair et al. (2017, p. 323) A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM)