Interpretation of the Report Data - PLS and Bootstrapping

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
hopfe
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Interpretation of the Report Data - PLS and Bootstrapping

Post by hopfe »

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty impressed what SmartPLS was able to do with my data!

There is just one thing I can't find anywhere and this is how to read/understand all of the report files for both, the PLS-Report and the Bootstrapping-Report. Of special interest would be the significance (t-values) for direct and total effects? Is there a possibility to find out the t-values for a total effect in smartPLS? I use mediaing connections, thats why.

I would really appreciate a quick hint on either where to find the desired values or even a methodological paper or anything on how to compute them?

Cheers

Nicolas
hopfe
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by hopfe »

Okay, actually the only question I have is if there are 'Total T-Values' like there are Total Effects? I know how to calculate Total Effects, do I have to calculate Total T-Values the same way? Anyone?
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

SmartPLS delivere the t-values for the total effects after you have run a bootstrapping procedure.

Best regards
Christian
quant
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by quant »

Hi,

I have a model with only direct effects. However, bootstrapping results
for path coefficients and for total effects differ significantly, namely the bootstrap standard deviation and bootstrap mean. How is that?

The total effects SmartPLS output coincides with other softwares'
path coefficient bootstrapping output. Using the latter,
path coefficient and total effects bootstrapping output coincide.

Thanks,
Christian

Edit: I recognized that the differences disappear when I bootstrap a model
with only one exogenous and one endogenous construct. So, how does SmartPLS compute bootstrap standard deviation of total effects?

Edit 2: No, with other minimal models the problem remains. However, I found that the problem is somehow related to the sign change options... J.M. Becker has been so kind to contact me. Results will be posted here.
Carrera
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Carrera »

Hi,

what's exactly the difference between the interpretation of the path coefficients and the total effects?

I've found the answer:

the path coefficients are the direct effects and the total effects are the indirect and direct effects
casander
PLS Senior User
Real name and title:

Post by casander »

Hi there,

as fas as I understood, smartPLS gives me the t-values for total effetcs based on the sign change option "no sign change", which I think is the most conservative option (?).

But I prefer using individual sign changes as suggested by C. M. Ringle in one of his articles - so how can I compute the t-values for the total effects in that case?

Does anybody have a solution to this?

best regards,
Carsten
christian.nitzl
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by christian.nitzl »

Hey Carsten,

You can compute the t-values for the total effects in the same way as you do it for direct effects (path coefficient/s.e.).

The results are also reported in SmartPLS (see >Bootstrapping > Total Effects).

Best regards

Christian
casander
PLS Senior User
Real name and title:

Post by casander »

Thanks!