reflective-reflective second order construct

This forum is closed, and read-only.
KIHO KWON
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. KIHO KWON

reflective-reflective second order construct

Post by KIHO KWON »

Hi. SmartPLS community.

My model has reflective-reflective 2nd order construct.
I want to use two-step approach as my key reference did.
So I drew model including only first order model to get Latent variable scores.
But I can't find where LV scores is in smartpls3.
When I use smartpls2, I found LV scores easily.

Question1) where can I find LV scores in smartpls3.
Question2) When I use smartpls2, there are three types of LV scores. Which should I use for two-step approach?
① Index Value -> Results -> Latent Variable Scores(unstandardised)
② Model -> Specification -> Manifest Variable Score
③ PLS -> Calculation Results -> Latent Variable Scores
④ PLS -> Calculation Results -> Manifest Variable Scores
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: reflective-reflective second order construct

Post by jmbecker »

1) In SmartPLS 3, you find the standardized LV scores using the PLS algorithm and then go to "Latent Variable". You can find the unstandardized LV scores using the IPMA method.

2) You should use the standardized LV scores for the two-stage approach.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
Azim
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Azim Azuan Osman

Post by Azim »

Dr, may I know if the two-stage approach applicable yo all four types of HCM or just limited for reflective-formative and formative-formative?
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

It can be used for all, but for reflective-reflective models usually the repeated indicator approach is recommended.
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
fatema
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Fatema Johara

Re: reflective formative second order construct

Post by fatema »

In my model I have three reflective and formative 2nd order constructs where two are Independent variables and one dependent variable, one reflective reflective 2nd order construct and two 1st order constructs. I want to use the two stages approach. For that what should I need to do first ? Assessing the measurement model for all 1st order constructs. Please suggest me.
shobi
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Shoaib Muhammad

Post by shobi »

Dear valuable and respected Researchers, scholars,

I am very glad to be here on this platform that deals exclusively issues matters and problems related to SmartPLS. first of all congrats to PLS team who created this wonderful online platform for us to share our views, ask some questions/queries and get wonderful opinions advice from professionals who have great experience in running various software such as SmartPLS.

To begin with, in my Ph.D. thesis model, all my constructs are reflective-reflective including two constructs are second-order constructs with multi-item sub-dimensions. I would like to know if someone shares with us how to run repeated indicator approach step by step in SmartPLS. when we ask from different researchers and Ph.D. students they give their own interpretations on how to run this type of model in PLS. some issues we researchers confertt while running repeated indicator approach are e.g. measurement model will be run twice. in the first run, we will run with only first order constructs or will run with a full model including second-order construct too. after reporting latent variable score we need to run the measurement model 2nd time. in second measurement model run, we will run only with seconder order construct only? likewise, HTMT will be reported twice too.

All I am suggesting its bit complicated and as I mentioned different people give very different views on it. it would be very kind of SmartPLS experts if they make a small video for us and show us how to run it repeated indicator approach with reflective reflective model and how to report HTMT values and structural model values. that would help us a lot to not only run in the right manner but to report in a correct manner too.

However, if it's not immediately possible to make a video on it, can we be provided detailed stepwise how to run the model with repeated indicator approach.
Thank you for your time and reading my query.
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Thanks. To get started on second-order models, you may want to take a look at the respective chapter in the book advanced PLS-SEM issues by Hair et al. (2018): https://www.smartpls.com/documentation/ ... sem-issues

"To begin with, in my Ph.D. thesis model, all my constructs are reflective-reflective including two constructs are second-order constructs with multi-item sub-dimensions." But you may re-consider if this is the right option. Oftentimes, second-order models are not a cure but in fact a disease. In PLS-SEM you can look into all relationships form the lower-order constructs directly into the target construct and the use of a second-order model is questionable