The new JRE 7 does not run with SmartPLS

This forum is closed, and read-only.
TAILAB2014
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by TAILAB2014 »

Hi everyone,
I wanted to follow either solution 1, 2, or even 3, but actually, I could not find the JRE 6 (update 29) .
could you please help me step by step where I can find it and how.

Thanks
MohamedTailab
lorikendall999
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Re: Startup fails Win 7 with Solution 2 (JRE in SmartPLS fol

Post by lorikendall999 »

lorikendall999 wrote:After I unzip the latest version of SmartPLS 2.0 into program files (name of directory is smartpls 2.0) and check to verify that JRE that was included with install is in same directory (JRE and contents), I try to start Smart PLS and get this error message: "An error has occurred. Please see log file \\vmare-host\Shared Folders\eclipse\de.smartpls.main.SmartPLS_2.0.3\configuration\1395511775739.log"

There is no such thing as a directory path called "eclipse\de.smartpls.main...." There is also no such file called "1395511775739.log" anywhere on my computer (I searched all paths). I am using VMWare Fusion. I have SPSS version 21 and Amos installed along with other "PC only" apps that run in this environment. Please explain this obscure message that doesn't describe either a path or an actual file in my environment.

Thank you.
Fixed -- required three changes for my Maverick's / VM Fusion 6.0 environment:

After installing and downgrading JRE to 6, build 29, I did the following:

1. Created an .INI file that calls JRE 6 explicitly and put in the home folder for SmartPLS 2.0 in Windows.
2. Turned off shared folders in VMWARE (A real pain to have to do this but oh well).
3. Inspected folder permissions on unzipped folders and made them less secure (R/W/M/D) for all users. That's because individual users on Windows might not have administrator rights. SmartPLS seems to want admin authority for execution.

Now everything works.
Lori Kendall
Doctoral Candidate, DM 2015
Case Western Reserve University
lori.kendall@case.edu
swende
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dipl. Wi-Inf. Sven Wende

Re: Smart PLS works on Mac

Post by swende »

kamira wrote:Another alternative to run Smart PLS on your Mac without using bootcamp is to download the version for Windows and run it with a special software to run windows applications in other operative systems (Wine, Crossovers, etc.
The new SmartPLS 3 does now work on Mac OSX out of the box. Just download and install the DMG file from http://www.smartpls.com !
Sven Wende, CEO SmartPLS GmbH
carole
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: carole fantini, researcher

Re: The new JRE 7 does not run with SmartPLS

Post by carole »

Hi
a solution for mac users as with the OSX siera update, java7 is automatically installed and impossible to install java6. I have tried and the soft requires to delete java7 that I can't find on the hard disk...
thanks
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Re: The new JRE 7 does not run with SmartPLS

Post by cringle »

Apple stopped supporting SmartPLS 2, which runs fine on Windows systems. However, SmartPLS 3 is "back to Mac". Just try it out and download, install, and run SmartPLS 3: https://www.smartpls.com/downloads