Disappearing .splsp files

This forum is closed, and read-only.
scottmac99

Disappearing .splsp files

Post by scottmac99 »

No answer on FAQ, so I am reposting here ...

My project files (.splsp) keep disappearing, and I am wondering if it is because I change the workspace setting, depending on which project I am working on. That is, does changing workspace mean these files are deleted ? Should I be keeping to just the one single workspace setting for all projects ?

Note I have searched the forums under "workspace" and not found anything.

Scott MacLean
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Dear Scott,

well let's find out if this really is a bug.

You select a workspace (there can be different workspace, if you like to better organize your projects).

In the selected workspace can be many projects. Each project has its own folder where the models an the imported data files are saved.

If you use the "Remove resource" function in SmartPLS, the a model or a data file or a project will be deleted - you will not find it in the workspace folder anymore.

However, if you activate the function "synchronize workspace" which is in the SmartPLS setting, you can manually delete or add files (e.g. via windows explorer) in the workspace folder. After starting SmartPLS again, the software "synchornizes" its projects regaring the current contents of the selected workspace folder.

There certainly should not simply "disappear" any files. Thus, it is important that you become more specific on this issue.

Best
Chrisitian
scottmac99

Post by scottmac99 »

OK, I think I need to do a small experiment (create a project, save it, exit the program, then start it up straight away and see if the project is still there). I will come back to you on this.

Note that the splspm files seem to be OK, I have lots of those. I am presuming that splsm and splsp files are stored in the same place ?

Scott
scottmac99

Post by scottmac99 »

Interestingly, I have just heard from a colleague in NZ who has had the same problem.

I just tried my experiment - created and saved a simple project, then changed the workspace to another directory, then changed it back again, and the splsp file had disappeared, all that is left are the splsm file, the .csv data file and a file called ".project" which appears to not be anything in particular.

I looks like a bug to me, but since no-one else has reported it (except I and my colleague) we are probably doing something wrong.

Scott
scottmac99

Post by scottmac99 »

More information - this is REALLY SERIOUS. Even immediately after I <save> and <save all> I cannot find a .splsp file anywhere on my c drive. It appears that not only are they disappearing, they are not being created in the first place.

I am using Windows SP2 version 5.1 and JRE 6.0_01

Scott
scottmac99

Post by scottmac99 »

PROBLEM SOLVED !!

It appears that to save a project I actually have to <export> it.

Scott