Slow Bootstrapping

This forum is closed, and read-only.
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Slow Bootstrapping

Post by edemir »

Hi,

the bootstrapping procedure on my PC is extremely slow..last time, I let it run over night but without success. The process was not finished since in the morning. I do not have any idea what should I do.

My sample size accounts 2139 companies with each 40 questions, and not every question is answered (I do not know how many questions are not answered due to large sample size. Should I know it? and if how?).

I set missing values and case wise replacement. As I have read, the cases number should be as high as the original sample size, so I set it to 2139. Sample value is 3000. Is that correct?

In addition, I increased in the preferences the required memory to 1000000 bytes (1 MB). My notebook has 512MB. But that doesn't help to increase the speed of bootstrapping. What should I do?

It would be great if you could help me. Thank you. Emine
Last edited by edemir on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

You may use the search function in this Forum for the term "memory". There are a lot of topics concerning this fact.

My first suggestion is that you should try to increase the memory to at least 256MB or maybe even more.
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by edemir »

Hi, thank you for your response. I will check this. Emine
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by edemir »

Hi,

no way...I have increased both the memory in system settings and from the Java Virtual Machine. Just little faster the bootstrapping runs and I still need the whole night. Is that normal, if I have only 512MB memory space and a sample size of about 2000?

Sorry for the several questions, but I have no much time for my thesis and it is important that the bootstrapping is more faster. Many thanks. Emine
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by edemir »

Hi,

now I get the opportunity at my chair to increase the memory to 1.5 GB. But the bootstrapping procedure also is cancelled at 50 samples. Has anyone experience with so high sample sizes (cases 1332, sample 2000)?

I will be very thankful for any information.

Emine
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer

Post by jmbecker »

Hi,
there must be something strange with your model.
I just tried an example with about 3000 cases (9 LVs with 5 to 7 indicators); 2000 samples.
All samples went trough in less than an hour!

(btw. Java Memory assigned: 512MB)
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by edemir »

hi, thank you.

Now I just tested a smaller model with only three LV and a few indicator. I get the same error pop up at 50 samples. That is strange.

My original model include 10 latent exogenous variable and one latent endogenous variable which is modeled to be formative with 26 indicator. The latent exogenous variable are operatinalized differently, 7 formative and 3 reflective.

Where may be the problem?

Cheers,
Emine
edemir
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by edemir »

Hi,
i just wanted to inform that I have run a new installation and now everything is well.

Thank you anyway
zhangx
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

mixed measures for the same exogenous contruct

Post by zhangx »

Hi, Emine ,

Can you describe how you model an exogenous construct with 7 formative and 3 reflective constructs? I tried in SmartPLS but I can only create either all reflective or all formative indicators for the same exogenous construct.
Xiaoni Zhang
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer

Post by jmbecker »

She had overall 10 exogenous variables, which were either formative (7 of them) or reflective (3 of them).