comparison of path coefficients

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Taeshik Gong
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

comparison of path coefficients

Post by Taeshik Gong »

Hi,

I know that if one would like to test if one path coefficient (e.g. b1) is bigger than another (b2), usually following formula can be used:

t=b1-b2/(varb1+varb2-2covb1b2)^0,5

However, I also need to determine the degree of freedom (DF) for the t-test. Now my question is how can I obtain degree of freedom?
In usual t-test, the degree of freedom is the sum of the N in both groups minus 2. Is it applied to this context?

For example, if I used bootstrapping with 500 resamples, DF would be 500 (NUMBER of bootstrap sample 1) + 500 (NUMBER of bootstrap sample 2) -2 = 998.
Is it right?

Taeshik
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

1) In each sample the value of b1 is computed based in n cases, even been computed 500 times b1 is computed using n cases.

2) When you run the bootstrpping procedure, you have 500 values of b1, and its mean and standard deviation.

3) Maybe a t-test for means (Ho: b1 - b2 = 0) using this results (500 values of b1 and 500 of b2) could solve the problem.
(Or non-parametric version: Mann-Whitney or Kruskal-Wallis).

I understand that the formula that you presented is used with one sample and n cases.

Other explanation in: http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/plsfaq/plsfaq.htm

Best regards.

Bido