Bootstrapping T-Values Path Coeff vs Total Effects

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
simschm
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Bootstrapping T-Values Path Coeff vs Total Effects

Post by simschm »

Hi at all,

in my model there are just direct effects and interaction effects between formative constructs - so calculated by factor approach not by smartpls indicator approach. Problem: why do the t-values for path coefficiants and total effects differ? should be the same then, shouldn´t? and which ones to take for significance report: path or total?

thanks, simone
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

you are right, the results should be exactly the same if you use no sign change option! Whenever, a sign change option is used, the result differ.

Best regards
Christian
simschm
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by simschm »

hi christian,

thx for your immediate reply! i used sign change option (construct level) - just because of a feeling ;-) i´m still waiting for the recommended article to answer the questions about the three options :-) was not available in muenster, so maybe that´s why i´m wondering about the differences. in case of using construct level changes: use t-values for path coeff then for significances? although total seems to produce more significances...

sorry for bothering without having read the article!

greetz, simone
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi Simone,

in WISU 2/2007, I recommend to use individual sign changes - makes most sense to me. However, we added the total value bootstrapping without using it for an application. Your comment is very helpful because it make me aware that we may compute these values without accounting for the selected sign change option. I check this issue.

Best
Christian
simschm
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by simschm »

thanks christian,
just read your article! perfect for me!
individual sign change produces also higher t-values (path coeff) as i recognized - great! :-) so i decided to skip the total effects and to concentrate on the t-values for the path coeff! thanks !