Formative vs reflective construct

Research topics can be discussed in this area.
eflina
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Debora E. Purba

Formative vs reflective construct

Post by eflina »

Hi,

I have an endogenous formative variable which I initially treated as "formative first order and second order" construct. In relation to other exogenous variable, the regression weight was almost zero. But when I inverted the second order of the endogenous variable to reflective (so it's now conceptualized as "first order formative and second order reflective"), I got a satisfying regression weight from exogenous to endogenous (it's increased to .40). Question is: to what degree do I have a freedom to determine whether a construct should be treated as full formative or half formative? Does it make sense if I say that "first order formative and second order reflective" is a formative construct? Thank you.

Debby
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,
Formative or Reflective based your conceptualization constructs.
Next, used repeated indicators for check significant weight, Why your mention weight is zero?
eflina
PLS Junior User

Post by eflina »

That's what I was asking about. When I conceptualized the second order relationship with LV (the moderator) as formative, the path coefficient of my IV to MV became zero. However, when I inverted them into reflective, the path coefficient became significant (almost. 40). I had no choice than treating them as first order formative second order reflective.

Furthermore, can SmartPLS test logistic regression? Thanks for your help.

Bests,
Debby
Debby Purba
Institute of Psychology Erasmus University Rotterdam
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hello,

You have Type III 2nd order. For test this model used combination Repeated Indicators and Two-Stage. Next, PLS cannot ran Logistic Regression with categorial dependent variable.

Regards,
Hengky
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Post by jmbecker »

You might want to read

Becker, Jan-Michael, Kristina Klein and Martin Wetzels (2012): Hierarchical Latent Variable Models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for Using Reflective-Formative Type Models, Long Range Planning (LRP), Vol. 45, Issue 5-6, 359-394.

It discusses some of your problems.
ahmeduum
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by ahmeduum »

eflina wrote:Hi,

I have an endogenous formative variable which I initially treated as "formative first order and second order" construct. In relation to other exogenous variable, the regression weight was almost zero. But when I inverted the second order of the endogenous variable to reflective (so it's now conceptualized as "first order formative and second order reflective"), I got a satisfying regression weight from exogenous to endogenous (it's increased to .40). Question is: to what degree do I have a freedom to determine whether a construct should be treated as full formative or half formative? Does it make sense if I say that "first order formative and second order reflective" is a formative construct? Thank you.

Debby
jmbecker wrote:You might want to read

Becker, Jan-Michael, Kristina Klein and Martin Wetzels (2012): Hierarchical Latent Variable Models in PLS-SEM: Guidelines for Using Reflective-Formative Type Models, Long Range Planning (LRP), Vol. 45, Issue 5-6, 359-394.

Dear Debby,

I have that article as mentioned by Dr. Becker. If you want you may PM me. Thanks Dr. Becker for reffering this article.
eflina
PLS Junior User

Post by eflina »

Dear Ahmed,

Thank you so much for the offer, I already have the article though. All the best!
Debby Purba
Institute of Psychology Erasmus University Rotterdam
bwilson
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by bwilson »

jmbecker wrote:You might want to read

Agreed. Start here.
This is a good suggestion.
For type I reflective reflective contrast see:
Handbook of Partial Least Squares. http://www.springer.com/statistics/comp ... 40-32825-4

Chapter by Wilson.
Using PLS to Investigate Interaction Effects Between Higher Order Branding Constructs.

Best regards

Brad
Bradley Wilson. Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Advertising.
RMIT University.
School of Media and Communication.
GPO Box 2476V
Location. 9.5.20
Melbourne. Victoria.
Australia.

SEE FOR PUBLICATIONS
www.rmit.edu.au/staff/bradleywilson