Second order repeated indicators- not loading properly

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
GDAVE
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Second order repeated indicators- not loading properly

Post by GDAVE »

Hello,

I am using the repeated indicator approach for my second order model.
All indicators (reflective) are loading properly on their respective first order variable(>0.7), but some indicators are not loading properly on the second order.
I was wondering if I should remove the indicators that are not loading properly on the second order (from the second order construct or not? In this case, I'll not be repeating all indicators in the second order).

I'd appreciate your help in dealing with this situation.

Thanks
George
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi George,

To compute AVE and reliability of 1st order LV SmartPLS uses the outer loadings (correctly).
To compute AVE and reliability of 2nd order LV SmartPLS also uses the outer loadings (incorrectly – see viewtopic.php?t=640 ).
For the 2nd order LV the paths between them and their 1st order LV should be used as the outer loadings are used in the 1st order LV (above 0,7…)

I hope this help,

Bido
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

in addition do Bido: You probably started from the wrong end. In your case, you do not have a reliable and valid second order model. Do not use it!

Always start with reliable higher order constructs and then form first order constructs (that are cartainly reliable as well).

Just aggregating lower order constructs by trashy higher order constructs - the so called second order constructs (I don't like them - they are highly misapplied in PLS) - is useless.

Best
Christian