Significant Path - no R2 change: Interpretation?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
redlake
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Significant Path - no R2 change: Interpretation?

Post by redlake »

Hi all,

I have a question regarding interpretation of PLS results: I have a model with one construct explaining 68% of variance in another construct. This is rather good. When I add more latent constructs, these at times show significant indirect paths to the dependent construct via the major explanatory construct, bootstrapping often results in significant total effects, but the r2 does not change at all. How can I interpret such a construct? Am I right assuming that this variable has no effect on the DV over and about the main explanatory variable? Furthermore, if I try a number of different constructs, with the same results again, does that mean that the "explainable variance" in the DV is somehow "exhausted"? Or could this hint at problems in the distribution of the DV?

This may sound stupid questions. Above all, I would be interested in all kinds of practical experiences of similar situations.

thanks

matthias rothensee
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

indirect construct influences

Post by viswadatta »

when you write construct equations you never use indirect influences. RSq value only uses the immediate construct influences. The beta values are used to find out the indirect influences of each cnstruct on another construct.