Instable Estimates in 2nd order model based on # LVs/items

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
chrisblocker
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Instable Estimates in 2nd order model based on # LVs/items

Post by chrisblocker »

I'm working with a 2nd order / 3rd order model (using repeated indicators) where I've got 6 reflective LVs leading to a 2nd order Benefits LV, and 3 reflective LVs leading to a 2nd order Sacrifices LV, both which subsequently lead to a 3rd order Customer Value LV. Measurement is strong.

Problem I'm having is that 2nd order to 3rd order paths are highly dependent and vary significantly based upon the number of LV's/items being used to measure 2nd order LVs when I do sensitivity analysis by adding/removing LVs.

This makes sense from a summative scale standpoint.

I know I've heard that these kinds of models work best when there are 3 LVs on each side (or at least equivalent), but doing so would basically force me to remove some important new constructs or reduce items per construct on the benefit side to 1 or 2.

Any suggestions or literature on this model issue that seems to drive theoretical concessions?

Many thanks!
CPB
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Dear Christopher,

3rd order paths... I know that 2nd order models work with PLS path modeling - but only in a limited kind of situations.

You may check the discussions about 2nd order models in this forum. Make sure that your 2nd order model fits the PLS path modeling, do not use 3rd order models.

Best
Christian