Bootstrap formative weight analysis

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
gearyn
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Niall Geary

Bootstrap formative weight analysis

Post by gearyn »

Apologies for my ignorance, but I am relatively inexperienced regarding statistics and PLS.

My question relates to my bootstrap results of my constructs which involve formative indicators. I cannot appreciate why I see a very weak relationships to my constructs, when I have very strong means?

I am most likely not fully understanding the context of my bootstrap results. Could somebody please point me in the right direction in terms of understanding these results please?

Thanks,
Niall.
Model means:
Model means:
ModelMeans.GIF (19.75 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Attachments
T-Statistics
T-Statistics
TStat_PValues.GIF (42.94 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
janschreier
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Jan Schreier

Re: Bootstrap formative weight analysis

Post by janschreier »

Bootstrapping is used to get results about the variance, not the mean. You can have a high mean and still the data has high variance. You can see that also in your second image. the variances generated from bootstrapping are rather high. either the variance in your data is high or your sample size is very small. If the sample size is large this could be a hint for heterogeneous data (i. e. there are multiple segments in your data that create the high variance).
as a starter to understand bootstrapping see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap ... tistics%29

and when using smartPLS you definitely want to read through:
Hair, J.F., Hult, G.T.M., Ringle, C.M., Sarstedt, M., 2014. A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling. Sage, Los Angeles.

after that you should have an idea of where the problems come from. The above mentioned reasons are only some of the reasons that could exist. the search function for this forum is usually also of great help.
gearyn
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Mr. Niall Geary

Re: Bootstrap formative weight analysis

Post by gearyn »

Thanks very much for your response Jan. I have 61 records in my results, which I know is a reasonably small dataset, but I didn't expect to see the difference which I see in the t-statistic results, when the indicators are taken as being formative as opposed to reflective. I think that I need to go through the suggested literature in more detail.

Thanks again,
Niall.