Mode A for formative indicators

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
janschreier
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Jan Schreier

Mode A for formative indicators

Post by janschreier »

In Rigdon, E. E. (2012): „Rethinking Partial Least Squares Path Modeling: In Praise of Simple Methods“. In: Long Range Planning. 45 (5-6), S. 341–358.
Rigdon's proposal is to calculate formative constructs with Mode A (correlations instead of regressions).

My questions are now:
1) what do other experts think on this approach?
2) If I use it, do I have to run my checks for this construct as if these constructs were formative (e. g. check cronbach's alpha, composite reliability etc.) or should I check it like I check formative constructs (i. e. convergent validity, outer VIF, etc).

For 2) my view would be that the checks of constructs only depend on the constructs definition, thus if I define a construct formative I should check it formative, regardless if I use Mode A or Mode B.

Thanks for your help!
Jan
jmbecker
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Dr. Jan-Michael Becker

Re: Mode A for formative indicators

Post by jmbecker »

I agree with Ed Rigdon that considering Mode A for formative constructs is worthwhile. In Becker, Rai & Rigdon (2013) we also show why and when it might be good choice to use Mode A for formative constructs. It is not always the better choice, but in quite many situations.

As for 2), you are correct: You should still treat your constructs as formative and assess construct quality based on formative assessment methods.

Becker, Jan-Michael, Arun Rai and Edward E. Rigdon (2013): Predictive Validity and Formative Measurement in Structural Equation Modeling: Embracing Practical Relevance, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (Milan, Italy).
Dr. Jan-Michael Becker, BI Norwegian Business School, SmartPLS Developer
Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jan_Michael_Becker
GoogleScholar: http://scholar.google.de/citations?user ... AAAJ&hl=de
janschreier
PLS Expert User
Real name and title: Jan Schreier

Re: Mode A for formative indicators

Post by janschreier »

Thank you, Jan-Michael!