effect size negative?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
bubach
PLS User
Real name and title:

effect size negative?

Post by bubach »

Hello Community,

i need your help. I want to calculate the effect size. I have 4 Constructs (A, B, C, D) with Connection A to B, A to C, A to D and B to D and C to D.

Then i calculated the R-square for the D with all paths, then i removed path A to D and calculate R-square for D again. Now i could calculate the effect size for A.

I added the path from A to D again and removed the path B to D and calculate in the same way the effect size for B. But i was confused, because i got a higher R-square for D without the path B to D. Of course, my effect size was negative.

How can i interpret negative effect size? Or is my way to calculate effect size wrong?

Thanks so much for your help.

Greetings,
Michael
jjsailors
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Re: effect size negative?

Post by jjsailors »

bubach wrote:But i was confused, because i got a higher R-square for D without the path B to D. Of course, my effect size was negative.
Hi Michael,

In PLS, the computation of constructs is not independent of the paths in the structural model, so as you add/remove structural paths it's not as if the values of the constructs is constant.

That is why you can have the seemingly illogical finding of a negative effect size.

Regards,
John
John J. Sailors, PhD
Associate Professor of Marketing
The University of St. Thomas
Opus College of Business
Minneapolis, MN
bubach
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by bubach »

Hello Mr Sailors,

thanks a lot for your help. So, in this case, R-Square does not depend positively on the number of paths like in multiple regression, right?

Thanks a lot,
Michael
jjsailors
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by jjsailors »

bubach wrote:R-Square does not depend positively on the number of paths like in multiple regression, right?
That's right Michael, because the values of the constructs are not fixed, they will vary (to some degree) with the form of the structural model.
John J. Sailors, PhD
Associate Professor of Marketing
The University of St. Thomas
Opus College of Business
Minneapolis, MN