Significant path coefficient but no significant R²

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Nadine78
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Nadine Zacharias, Student

Significant path coefficient but no significant R²

Post by Nadine78 »

Dear experts,

my structural model involves one exogenous latent variable (TKE), one exogenous/endogenous latent variable (PTM) which is a mediator and one endogenous latent variable (TE).
The path from TKE to PTM is significant (p<.001) with a coefficient of .37 (t=9.35). The path from TKE to TE is not significant with ß = -.06 (t=1.40). The path from PTM to TE is significant (p<.05) with ß = .14 (t=2.21).
The R² value of PTM is R²=.13 which is significant (p<.001) and the coefficient of determination of TE is R²=.02 which is not significant (p=.14). The small effect size of PTM to TE with f²=.02 is not significant (p=.15).

How can I interpret a significant path coefficient against the background of a nonsignificant R² and f². Is it right if I say that the exogenous LV PTM (with the significant ß) is important (more correlated with TE) compared to the exogenous LV TKE but in general there is no large influence from PTM to TE?

Best regards,
Nadine