How to assign indicators to the second order construct?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
boonchai
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

How to assign indicators to the second order construct?

Post by boonchai »

In my project,I have "IT use" construct as Type II second-order factor (Chery; Buke Jarvis et. al article: A critical review of construct indicators and measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research). My first order constructs are HC_Use(use for health service) with 3 indicators(HC_Use1,HC_Use2,HC_Use3), Adm_use(use for administraction) with 3 indicators(Adm_Use1,Admin_use2,Adm_Use3) and Comm_use(use for communication) with 3 indicators (Comm_Use1,Comm_Use2,Comm_use3). I read through the PLS manual and forum in SmartPLS website but could not find the instruction of how to assign the indictors. The SmartPLS 2 M3 manual has the instruction to specify the interaction construct but not the second order construct. I try modeling IT use construct with no indicator attach to it. It appears that the application does not accept the second order construct without indictors assigned to it. Do I have to assign indicators to the second order construct? If yes, how to do that?
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Hi,

some good references about this:
WOLD, H. Soft modeling: the basic design and some extensions. In JORESKOG, K. G.; WOLD, H. (Ed.). Systems under indirect observation: causality, structure, prediction. Part II. p.40-43. North-Holland Publishing Company, 1982.

TENENHAUS, M. et al. PLS path modeling. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis. v. 48, p. 196, 2005.

For reflective way, you must connect the same indicators of the first order LVs to the 2nd order LV.

Best regards.

Bido