Second-Order Constructs: Formative vs. reflective items

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
sare177
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Second-Order Constructs: Formative vs. reflective items

Post by sare177 »

Hello,

are there any restrictions on second order constructs regarding the use of formative or reflective items?

I am trying to develop two exogene second order constructs using the "hierarchical component method (Wold1982)", as described earlier in this forum, in order to reduce the complexity of my model. One second-order construct will consist of three reflective first-order constructs. One second-order construct consists of 5 formative first-order-constructs.

Regarding this approach, do I need to consider the nature of the first-order constructs (form. - refl.) and the nature of the second-order construct for model calculation methodology?

Is there any literature known concerning the use of formative and reflective items in second order constructs?
Does it make sense to build a second-order construct that consist of reflective first-order constructs as well as formative first-order constructs?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks and regards,

Sandro
Diogenes
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title:

Post by Diogenes »

Yes (there are restrictions),

in the Help of the Smartpls and in release.php you have this recomendation on the use of 2nd order LV ==> http://disc-nt.cba.uh.edu/chin/icis96.pdf

It´s supposed that we´ll use reflective way when we multiply the indicators to have the moderator LV. See suggestions in the article for your model.

Best regards.

Bido
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

Hi,

check also this link: viewtopic.php?t=145&start=0&postdays=0& ... econdorder

I found it via the search function of this forum.

You find all possible 2nd-order-schemes there. Spread and collect basically mean reflective formative.

Best regards
Christian