One big weak point of pls?

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
onlyonelucas
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

One big weak point of pls?

Post by onlyonelucas »

During my research, I found Smartpls cannot deal with the “The non ideal circumstances”, and it has puzzled me for long time, I don’t know for sure that is it one of weak points of Smartpls, or did I just not find the solution that has already been there?

For example, the LV is the comprehensive health level of different areas in one country, and the MVs varies from numbers of doctors & nurses( X1 ), health funds( X2 ), death rate( X3) , medical expenses per patient( X4 ) and etc..

The ideal circumstance is that, when the area has high comprehensive health level, X1 and X2 should be high whereas X3 and X4 should be low.

The fact is that, when the area has high comprehensive health level, X1 and X2 is high, X3 is low, but X4 is high too.

In many developing countries, medical expenses per patient are always high in a high comprehensive health level place, but it is not a good thing. So X4 should have been the “subtract” MV, which just like X3 has a minus path coefficient, but in fact, Smartpls view X4 as the “plus” MV just like X1 and X2 which both have positive path coefficients.

So, in sum, my problem is, if I have a MV which has an inverse relationship with the LV, but due to the actual data(see the example above), Smartpls view it as one who has a positive relationship with the LV(just like the X3 mentioned above), how could I fix it and tell Smartpls???

Hope to get your help & thanks very much!