nominal and ordinal scales

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
viswadatta
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

nominal and ordinal scales

Post by viswadatta »

How are nominal and ordinal scales used in PLS? Can we specify them in the excel file or the model?
cringle
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title: Prof. Dr. Christian M. Ringle

Post by cringle »

You do not use nominal or ordinal scales in PLS path modeling.

Best regards
Christian
krasnovh
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Ordinal scales

Post by krasnovh »

Dear forum members,

I have done a survey using 7-p. ordinal Likert scales (all construct are reflective). I would like to use pls methodology and software.

In Chin Paper (Wynne W. Chin, Barbara L. Marcolin, Peter R. Newsted: A PARTIAL LEAST SQUARES LATENT VARIABLE MODELING APPROACH FOR MEASURING INTERACTION EFFECTS: RESULTS FROM A MONTE CARLO SIMULATION STUDY AND VOICE MAIL EMOTION/ADOPTION STUDY; http://www.plsgraph.com/) it is stated that: "We believe that ordinal or even dichotomous variables can be used as long as there is a large enough set to represent the underlying continuous latent variable." He has developed his own software: PLS-Graph.

My question is if (a) I can use ordinal data in Smartpls under Chin assuption; or alternatively: (b) does Smartpls use the same algorithms as other pls softwares such as f.e. PLS-Graph.

Thank you very much!

Hanna