Measurement model assessment with HOC

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
Simona Schamper
PLS Junior User
Real name and title: Simona Schamper

Measurement model assessment with HOC

Post by Simona Schamper »

Dear SmartPLS experts,

I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding the following issue. I have a model consisting of 1 second-order formative-formative construct as well as 1 first-order reflective and 2 first-order formative constructs. When assessing the measurement model, is it correct to proceed as follows?

Step 1: Assess validity of the LOC of my formative-formative construct
Step 1 - Assess LOC formative constructs.PNG
Step 1 - Assess LOC formative constructs.PNG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 10356 times

Step 2: Generate LVS for these LOCs

Step 3: Assess measurement model for HOC of the formative-formative construct as well as all remaining latent variables (first order) in a new model
Step 3 - Assess HOC formative construct and remaining first-order constructs.PNG
Step 3 - Assess HOC formative construct and remaining first-order constructs.PNG (24.18 KiB) Viewed 10356 times

If, by contrast, I assess the measurement model by including only the LOC of the formative-formative measure along with the other first-order constructs (see attachment below), almost none of my outer weights are significant. However if I assess the measurement model as described in Steps 1 to 3, they are.
Measurement assessment using LOCs and first-order constructs.PNG
Measurement assessment using LOCs and first-order constructs.PNG (28.35 KiB) Viewed 10356 times

Thank you in advance for you help.

Kind regards,
Simona