Sobel's test

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
nayabeyes
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Sobel's test

Post by nayabeyes »

Please help,
Though the direct path is not significant but sobel's test is significant, so can I report it in the paper?
MURAD ALI, Ph.D
Hengkov
PLS Super-Expert
Real name and title: Hengky Latan

Post by Hengkov »

Hi,

Full mediation =
direct effect -> not significant (X->Y), but indirect effect significant (X->M->Y). But, we ignore Sobel test method in PLS, used bootstrapping approach.

Regards,
huracan
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by huracan »

Hi, Murad Ali.

I'd like to share a piece of article which i had read before. I expect it is some little help for you.

Hayes, A. F. (2009). Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical Mediation Analysis in the New Millennium. Communication Monographs, 76(4), 408–420.

As Hengky's suggestion, using bootstrapping in PLS is suitable, as you know, since it does not require strict assumption such as sample size or normal distribution. Bootstrapping is the alternative to Sobel test.
nayabeyes
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by nayabeyes »

Thank you Sarjana Hengky Latan and Ken Lee. In fact I want to use both methods but in Sobel test I had the problem but now cleared.

Ken Lee I will check out the reference.

Thank you very much. BR
MURAD ALI, Ph.D
bwilson
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Post by bwilson »

nayabeyes wrote:Thank you Sarjana Hengky Latan and Ken Lee. In fact I want to use both methods but in Sobel test I had the problem but now cleared.
. BR
You should see:
Henseler, Jörg; Wilson, Bradley; Westberg, Kate (2011). Managers' perceptions of the impact of sport sponsorship on brand equity. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 20 (1), 7-21.
Wilson, Bradley; Henseler, Jörg (2006). The mediating role of relationship quality impacting sponsorship effects on perceived economic outcomes. ANZMAC Conference, Brisbane, December 4-6.

Sobel test should not be used or reported.

Best regards

Brad
Bradley Wilson. Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Advertising.
RMIT University.
School of Media and Communication.
GPO Box 2476V
Location. 9.5.20
Melbourne. Victoria.
Australia.

SEE FOR PUBLICATIONS
www.rmit.edu.au/staff/bradleywilson