Formative measurement model assessment

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
queenofkuji
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Formative measurement model assessment

Post by queenofkuji »

Dear all,

Based on Hair et al (2014), A Primer On PLS-SEM, Chapter 5. There are 3 steps to do the validity assessment: 1) Assess convergent validity based on redundancy analysis, 2) Assess collinearity issues/VIF, 3) Assess significance and relevance via bootstrapp.

[b]My question is dedicated to step no 1 - convergent validity based on redundancy analysis.[/b] In Hair et al (2014), redundancy analysis is carried out by creating new model for the formative constructs and create one reflective construct with a global single-item measures which summarizes the essence of the formative indicators (Sarstedt, Wilczynski, Melewar, 2013).

Therefore, my concern is - what if we don't have that summarized single item in the survey? Again based on Hair et al (2014), we should include this global single item in the survey if we are to include formative indicators for the constructs. So,

i. How are we going to do the redundancy analysis?
ii. Can we just check the weight of the indicators and their t-values and delete the items with insignificant values?
iii. then after no (ii) we proceed with step 2 which is to assess the collinearity issues/VIF?

The main problem here is I don't have that global single-item measures and would not be able to get the values of convergent validity's path coefficient. :-(

Kindly advise and thank you in advanced.
Raha
nayabeyes
PLS Expert User
Real name and title:

Re: Formative measurement model assessment

Post by nayabeyes »

Hi,
Right now I am reading the exactly the same chapter. I was thinking what if take the average means of all formative indicators and make it as global single-item?

How can I decide my global single-item measure as I have almost in the last stage of analysis.

I did not finish the book now so am not sure, what I am thinking again is...how to conduct convergent validity based on redundancy analysis of higher second-order formative construct?

BR
MURAD ALI, Ph.D
herotho
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by herotho »

if someone have the same problem i suggest to take a look at this: The Development of a Formative and a Reflective Scale for the Assessment of On-line Store Usability; Timo CHRISTOPHERSEN, Udo KONRADT; 2008.

in that paper you can see that thay used reflective indicators for the same construct that they measure via formative indicators.

Hope this could help to someone,

Good luck