Restriction on sample size

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
vibha
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Restriction on sample size

Post by vibha »

Hi,

I am facing a problem with base sizes while running PLS.

I have to run the same model on different data sets with base sizes 2631, 5192 and 18552.

In the first two cases I was able to get a solution, wheras when I run the model for the large data set, PLS does not give any output. It gives me a warning and says that it needs to debug.

Hence I would like to enquire if there is any restriction on the sample size of the data set inorder to get a converging solution??

Please let me know regarding this.

Thanks,

Vibha
awill
SmartPLS Developer
Real name and title:

Post by awill »

Hi,

generally the possible sample size depends on the available memory on your computer. For the calculation of very large models it could be necessary to tell the Java Virtual Machine that it can use more memory that it would per default. You can do this by manually starting SmartPLS from the command shell.

To do this, simply open the command shell and navigate to your SmartPLS installation directory.

There, you can start the software by typing:

Code: Select all

java -X512M -jar startup.jar
The argument

Code: Select all

-X512M
tells the Java Virtual Machine that it can use up to 512 megabytes of memory.

Best,

Alex
elianacarraca
PLS User
Real name and title:

A possible solution to run 5000 bootstraps

Post by elianacarraca »

Following a suggestion I found here on the forum, I was able to run 5000 bootstraps without any problem. It was really fast and easy.

The problem was related with the virtual memory required for java to work and run the models.

As Alexander Will suggested, "for the calculation of very large models it could be necessary to tell the Java Virtual Machine that it can use more memory that it would per default".

However, when I tried to use his command, it did not work, so I had to find a new one.
To increase the virtual memory, you can do it manually by starting SmartPLS from the command shell.
To find the command shell, press windows symbol on your board + r
Then, write 'cmd' on the box and press enter
Then, write cd\ + enter
Then, write cd program files + enter
Then, write cd smartpls2 + enter
And finally, write the following: java -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -jar startup.jar
Press enter and smartpls will open. Then try to run your model :))

Hope this helps.

Eliana
kuperbeigo
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by kuperbeigo »

thanks for the share. it was a great help.
Cheers - Azwadi