Similar indicator weights

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
JohnP
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Similar indicator weights

Post by JohnP »

Dear all,

I'm wondering why the indicator weights are very close to being the same in most cases. It has been the case for all SmartPLS projects I have done so far. They are not identical, but within close range of eachother.

I'm currently working with a dataset with 9 LV's. One of the LV's have 10 indicator variables, and the rounded weights are:
2 of 0,11
7 of 0,10
1 of 0,08

I've just been expecting a higher variance. Interpretating these results is hard when meaning to conclude which of these indicators are most important for driving high performance in the LV.

I have seen consultants' reports that picture the "effects" of the measurement variables (indicators) related to a given latent variable and in some of these reports the effects are somewhat different from eachother. The reports are made from analysis in SmartPLS, I was told.

I'm using the weights from:
Report --> Index Values --> Results --> Measurement Model

Have others encountered the same type of results? Is it normal and just not what I expected?

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Kind Regards
John Pedersen

Cand.merc.emf

Copenhagen Business School