Bootstrapping - Total Effect

Questions about the implementation and application of the PLS-SEM method, that are not related to the usage of the SmartPLS software.
faisal77
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Bootstrapping - Total Effect

Post by faisal77 »

Hi,
Could anyone please let me know how to interpret the total effect in bootstrapping results?

I have the following relationship among the variables: profitability -> problem -> performance

The coefficient and t statistics between profitability and problem are -0.166 and 1.51

The coefficient and t statistics between profitability and performance is -0.078 and 1.4031

Can we say anything about the relationship between profitability and performance.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards
Dr Mohammad Faisal Ahammad
Senior Lecturer
Nottingham Business School
Nottingham Trent University
United Kingdom
Mohammad Faisal Ahammad PhD MSc PGCHE BA
Senior Lecturer
Division of Accounting and Finance
United Kingdom
kristianak
PLS User
Real name and title:

Post by kristianak »

Total effects are the sum of direct and indirect effects from one LV to another in the inner model (Albers 2009; Henseler, Ringle, Sinkovics 2009: 304). Using total effects you avoid the issue of direct effects, that are often underestimated and increasing the probability of a type 1 error - especially when other LVs have a moderating effect on the direct path.

In general if the absolute value of the t-statistic is greater than 1.96 the path is significant at the 5%-level, while if the t-statistic is greater than 2.58 it is significant at the 1%-level.

If the t-statistic is between -1,95 and 1,95 then you cannot say that there is a significant relationship between the two, at the 5%-level.
faisal77
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by faisal77 »

Thank you very much.

Regards
Mohammad
Mohammad Faisal Ahammad PhD MSc PGCHE BA
Senior Lecturer
Division of Accounting and Finance
United Kingdom
Ella
PLS Junior User
Real name and title:

Post by Ella »

Hi,

if I use the total effects shown after bootstrapping, where can I see if the total effect is significant?

Thx!
Ella